NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Stuck in Massachusetts
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm building a race motor for a friends 914. It's a 3.0 from a 911SC that I've converted to twin plugs and am running a crank fired KMS Ignition system on. This system uses Coil on Plug. I like the idea of converting my NBC over to Coil On Plugs. A couple of reasons being - no plug wires to go bad, better spark, Bosch is the Lucas of our generation no more failed coils! Google was not my friend this time.... Anyone seen, heard or know of anyone that has done this? I imagine that it will be as simple as making a new harness to plug into the old harness that goes to the factory coil.

Thoughts and suggestions please....

·
5/23/10 <3
10,921 Posts
Coil on plug certainly has its problems. The VW coils are known for their failures on the 1.8T and the like. And they are not cheap either. I think its a lot of time, money, and effort you'll spend on something that probably won't save you all that much in the long run really. In my 6 1/2 years of ownership of my '99 2.0 I never had any ignition coil problems. Replaced plug wires once and only because I had never changed them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts