VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey looking for advice - my beetle has been in garage for 4weeks to fix a water leak that was coming in from under the window wipers. Lots of water gathering in drivers side.
On collection my engine maintenance light was in and it turns out my coil pack damaged. Is it possible that it was damaged due to water being poured onto the car? The garage are asking me to pay for a new pack and it wasn’t faulty 4 weeks ago?
Any advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
14,192 Posts
Coil packs cracking, on the base/back of them, is pretty common issue on the 2.0L/1.6L engines and this can cause a misfire condition. Which engine do you have? This is a replacement; that you could do yourself, save some money that way. I would stick with the better quality oem brands; eldor, bosch, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coil packs cracking, on the base/back of them, is pretty common issue on the 2.0L/1.6L engines and this can cause a misfire condition. Which engine do you have? This is a replacement; that you could do yourself, save some money that way. I would stick with the better quality oem brands; eldor, bosch, etc.
Thanks the replacement is not the issue it’s the fact that it was fine on handing it to the garage and faulty on collection? My question is could water damage the coil pack?

·
Registered
14,192 Posts
Water by itself, good question; what we see, is the coil packs, develop cracks and the water, causes them to ground out and misfires are the result or they fail. When, the coil pack is removed; you might inspect it for cracks and that would cause a problem, misfires are the typical issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts