VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
As always; go oem vw on these, DO NOT buy your typical coil packs from your local auto parts stores. You could buy them; from your local vw dealer to make sure they are the best quality or buy them online, after you find the correct oem/part number. If you are replacing the coil packs; you might consider doing the plugs as well. Keep in mind; there is not a whole lot of difference in price between the genuine vw coils and aftermarket versions; so, that isn't an issue and you also should get the latest revision that is being made. Online, amazon.com; typically, has the best price.

You can search the correct part here:

Shop Volkswagen Parts and Accessories

From what I can see:

07K905715F (from the photos; I am seeing of the genuine vw parts, the oem is marked "ELDOR") Keep in mind; VW changes their oem vendors from time to time: I have seen Hitachi, Bremi and Eldor, among others as the makers of the coils for VW.

http://www.eldor.it/content/en/ignition-coils

examples of different brands; from ECS TUNING:

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/07K905715F/

spark plug: 101905600C (NGK)

Look up the spark plugs here and you can get them cheaper; at your local auto parts store: (you can save money in this case; than from VW):

https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/

Also, if you have a failed coil pack; you might call your local VW dealer and see if there is/was a open recall on the coil packs. Some did have a recall or they would replace them; under a "silent" recall or as a customer satisfaction situation. Give them a call; all they can say is "no", then swap them out yourself.

·
volks r cool
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re:Coils

10/4 Billy....I just ordered from my local dealer on line...thnx.....question...If u say buy from dealer or OEM PARTS WHY DID U LIST aMAZON(THT WAS GOING TO BE MY 2CND CHOICE)and others lke ecs tuning...tht was one of my choices....alaso would a bosch part be ok?....thnx again

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well. Amazon.com; has gotten to the point, pretty much everything is on there, that is including genuine VW parts and even VW dealers are selling parts on the site. I would go with the genuine VW coil pack; that would guarantee the quality would be good and the latest revised part. It is possible; the Bosch would be ok but the prices as they are, I would go with the genuine VW part.

What I do; is go the VW parts website and get the correct part number and search online for the best price (making sure; it is a genuine vw part in this case). 9/10, it seems amazon; will have a great price and many times, free shipping. If I am under a time constraint; sometimes, I will spend the extra money and get it from my local VW dealer but Amazon usually has overnight shipping options as well. There are many different places online; that sell genuine VW parts, I am just finding amazon to have the parts and at great prices.

Buying parts online and locally in your area; you always have to balance, customer service, help finding the right parts and price. As always; your milage may vary. I find; if I do the correct research and find the right part numbers (on vw's parts website or using the part numbers on the old part), I can find the part online at substantial savings. Again you have to figure out; what is the best situation for you and how fast you need the parts, to get the job done. Most of the time; things have worked out for me but sometimes, you will get the wrong part or they are not what is advertised, the part is poor quality or just doesn't work for your car. I have had to buy things locally to make up for this at times. Some parts are ok to buy with the oem/brand and others, are best to get from VW. YMMV and getting feedback on what/which parts in this case are good quality, is what this and other sites are good for! You can ask and collectively; people can say what has worked and what hasn't. The cheaper aftermarket parts; many times, will end up costing more in the long run and cause problems, more brain damage, frustration, mess up your diagnostics process if you are trying to fix a particular issue (that the new part; is supposed to potentially solve).

Here is a example of things working out; my electrical after run coolant pump died and I looked online for the replacement. From the VW parts website; the pump is listed @ $210 and vw dealers online were @ $150. I thought that seemed pretty expensive; so, I did some research and found that Bosch was the oem who makes it for Volkswagen. I figured out the Bosch part number and then found it on amazon with free shipping for $70. I ordered it; it was identical to the old one (aside from the lack of vw/audi logos/part #'s) and I saved a to of dough! That was a successful repair and with some extra research, I saved a substantial amount of money.

So, it can work out; sometimes, it takes a little research and other times, it may not be worth it or you end up getting a wrong, inferior part. Do your research and search online; you might just save a bundle and in the process, save money with good quality oem or even genuine vw parts.

·
volks r cool
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very good Master Billy!...I did in fact order the coil pack frm the online vw thing u mentioned at my local dealer....
got for 5-6 $ cheaper going that route...thnx again..

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I've noticed; that sometimes it is cheaper to buy from your local vw dealer online and some even offer, a pickup option! So, you can order online and go down there; to pick up the parts, if they are in stock. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts