NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say I am very worried about water ingestion because its a potential catastrophic occurence in ALL CAIs so I thought for well over a year abot making a CAI for my bug.

I had some choices, I could have bought the EVO Cold Air Intake but it required some metal cutting and big changes in the access to the MAF etc.
The Bug mod ram intake installed on the blinker was neat but I was worried about water ingestion so I passed.
All conical filters were getting very hot air even with shields (I checked em with a thermometer)

So basically I quit my idea of a CAI....

Then my car has been sitting around for 10 days with no front bumper and no side fenders and I saw tah world infamous Snorkel all our Beetle have see Picture.....

and tought there must be a way to get some air in there and avoid water.... mmmm

Attachments

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So yestareday I went for it and made a cai for my bug that I think is like 90 to 95% safe in all conditions for water ingestion:

first let see the part ...
As you can see here the black box here has a very long duct (red arrows) the air must enter on top travel down and then make a sharp 180 and then go another 14 inches just to get to the air filter and anothr 20 inches to hit the turbo or in a 2.0 the throttle body...

Too long, too complicated, too failsafe (its almost imposible to get water into the engine sisnce the snorkel is TOO high and even if water enters there are small holes in the little box that makes the 180 turn

Attachments

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the things I have learned in my Peugeot 206 is that teh airbos is very cleverly designed. It has a very low cold air intake but in the event of water it also has a top hole with a snorkel si in case water gets in the way the presure that needs the water to be sucked up is very high so the snorkel gets air and porevents the water fron being sucked, so basically I copied it....

What you need.

A saw of a cutting device.

1 yard of flexible hose

A very good sealant glue.

patience.

some plastic tie ups.

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to take off the front bumper and also the side wheel wells (yeah its a pita but this mod is not for the faint of heart, or better if you are moddif your bug heavily have this parts in hand and seize the opportunity and do this.

Take the front and you will se e the snorkel, take it off (it has a downfacing nut)

after you take it off youll see the straight conduct that lead to the airbox.... neat isn it?

Attachments

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cut the box right in front of the connector with the airbox intake, do it downwardly because that way is going to be simpler to install the hose.
Make the hole as big as the hose (in this case its 2.5 inches)

Attachments

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After making the hole be sure no debris are there (use compresed air if posible) use a small sandpaper to make the lip smooth and attach the hose.

After attaching the hose use the silicon glue (a strong one) to attach the hose and let it dry for a good 10 hours. see pics

Attachments

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then reattach the Snorkel with all its pieces and the hose see pic....

Attachments

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally the hose will be much in the way its depicted below.

Ram air will enter to a forward facing hole, will go down , then up (4 inches) and then straight to the mini box in the snorkel that is rght in front of the entrance of the air box (RED ARROWS)

The blue arrow are WATER (in case of ingestion)

water could enter the hose and will go down were a small hole will make it drain, in case of a LOT of water being suckef or into the hose it wont go up because a 2.5 inch hose by 4 inches is a LOT of water and the wieght of it will make the snorkel work as before the air will enter through the snorkel and will make it imposible to suck water (much like a broken straw, that lets air get in halfaways so its almost imposible to suck liquieD ELEGANT ISNT IT?

Attachments

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last this pic shows where you shuld make a small hole (no more than 1/8 of an inch) so water if ingested can drain there.

The path will be directed towards the side, on a Turbo S you can use the side hole perfectly, in my case the RSI bumper is very big so I dont think Ill have any trouble with it.

In a regular Bug its almost imposible to put it in the center air hole but if you cut a little plastic you can put it there. DONT GO TOO LOW because you will suck leaves dust and such and thats even worse. a 6 to 5 inches from the ground is perfect.

Ii knw its temping to forgo the snorkell and put a hose directly to the airbos tube DONT because that is a surefire to suck water and have a RUINED engine.

Also make sure the hose it at least 3 inches down and then up to avoid having a very small water column. (the larger fatter, the more dificult to be sucked up) a 3 inche hose would be even better but will be a pita to install.

any questions? feel free to ask

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts