NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a k&n cold air inake on my 2002 1.8L turbo beetle. Now my check engine light is constantly coming on. It is throwing code po171 (system too lean, bank 1). I installed the enclosed small air breather on the secondary air pump hose end that disconnected from the stock airbox. Is this common on the turbo beetle's or did I do something wrong? Could the maf sensor be getting too much air to adjust the fuel mixture? I think I read on a forum here about the possibility of the oil in the k&n filter mucking up the maf sensor. Anyone got any ideas? Help! The check engine light drives me crazy.

·
Real life Beetle mechanic
572 Posts
I just installed a k&n cold air inake on my 2002 1.8L turbo beetle. Now my check engine light is constantly coming on. It is throwing code po171 (system too lean, bank 1). I installed the enclosed small air breather on the secondary air pump hose end that disconnected from the stock airbox. Is this common on the turbo beetle's or did I do something wrong? Could the maf sensor be getting too much air to adjust the fuel mixture? I think I read on a forum here about the possibility of the oil in the k&n filter mucking up the maf sensor. Anyone got any ideas? Help! The check engine light drives me crazy.
Alot of times people over oil the filter, causing a restriction in the air flow that can go across the MAF. Wash the oil out of the filter and very lightly re-oil the filter. See if that helps.

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
You´ve introduced an air leak. Contamination of the MAF normally only occurs over some mileage as excess oil gradually contaminates the MAF sensor wires. Did you oil the filter before installing it? Normally they come pre-oiled and you shouldn´t add any oil until its first service interval.

The MAF sensor will only get the air that the engine requires, same as with the stock filter, that code means that there is air getting into the engine that the MAF isn´t sensing...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts