VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Beetle 1.8T engine.
Here in Illinois the cold weather has come and I noticed something weird in the car:

when driving the car, it takes a long time to warm up. My commute is 10 miles and in the morning the cold engine light (the blue one) was on for all the route. Coming back it took 8 miles before it went away. I never remember such behavior, usually it would go away fairly quickly.

In addition to that, the air in the cab never got really warm, even if I I kept the fan full blast to the warmest setting.

How is the cab air warmed up?
What issue do you believe I have?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Yep, thermostat. Depending on the temperature the Blue Cold light should go out after 1-2 miles. Mine usually is out after about 1 mile at temps as low as 25F. Below this, cannot tell you for sure.

You need to read the links below in my signature. The 1.8t should run about 205F at idle, the Blue Cold light should go off at about 135F. If you are driving with the Blue Cold light on for a long period, the thermostat is a problem. Get is fixed ASAP as these engines will restrict/clog the oil pickup due to cold oil.

This also also why your heat is probably not working. My Beetle has the hottest heater of any car I have ever owned!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.
I looked at the thermostat and it seems to be in a pretty complicated location, behind the alternator and with the dip stick in the way.

Is there a way to pull it out without removing alternator and dip stick?

Are there some good instructions somewhere?

thanks again

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Did mine without removing the dipstick or alternator.

1/4" drive flex head ratchet, wobble extensions and 1/4" standard depth sockets.

Read toward the end of the thermostat thread in my signature.

Not really a DIY, but another female member here was able to upstage even her usual mechanic by replacing the stat in like 15 minutes!

Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks jfoj!

I found the tools and ordered the parts, will see what I come out with.....

Just one last question: do you know what size are the bolts holding the thermostat flange? I tried 10 mm but I could not fit it in, idk if i have some dirt or rust or if this is not the right size.

I saw there is also a hex inside the bolt, could I eventually use that with an Allen extension?

Thanks

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Best bet is with the socket 1/4 inch.

If you do not have a good socket set? Advance Auto sells a nice 1/4" drive set with a u-joint and extension.

To make life easier? (not sure how easy it will be if you have large hands like me) There is a small nut holding the wiring harness to the alternator. Remove it and you can lift the harness out of the way for a better angle on the lower bolt.

Please ensure you have a gallon of G-13 coolant. It's the ONLY recommended coolant for these all Aluminum engines. (If you have green stuff? I'd recommend flushing it out and replacing it with the 'good stuff'. Good stuff also is $$$$, we paid $27.00 a gallon *ugh*)

Oh yes. Pick up a magnet pick up tool. Trust me...first time the socket or bolt falls into the vase unknown? You'll enjoy the tool.

S-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts