NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gotta love the Bug
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, 2003 TS with 47k miles.

So odd thing happened today. I drove to work (48 deg morning), worked for 5 hours, came back out and it was 31deg and snowing. Start my car and it rumbles and shudders, and sounds like a brokendown jalopy and my CEL flashes at me... :confused: I didn't drive anywhere, just turned it off. Waited about a minute, restarted it and it seemed to run fine - I start driving and the CEL comes back on and holds steady. :(

I've searched it on the forums, seems that cracked hoses can cause this, or maybe bad coils, or bad injectors? Would bad gas cause this?

Any help would be great! Thanks!

·
5/23/10 <3
10,987 Posts
If you have a CEL, you need to get it scanned. Either by someone local with a Vag-Com or at an auto parts store like Autozone.

·
Gotta love the Bug
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
UPDATE!! I went to AutoZone and had them pull the code -- the only one they could get was 0304, or "4th cylinder misfire" -- pretty vague, so I think I'm stuck going to the shop... What causes a misfire? Bad gas? Bad plug? Bad coil? My plugs are only 7k miles old...

While it is in the shop, I'm approaching 50k miles, would it be adviseable to replace timing belt/water pump, or is it too early and I have some time left?

·
Gotta love the Bug
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took my TS into the my VW shop (not dealer, who needs those) yesterday, my #4 coil pack was fried! Total replacement cost with labor and part was a friendly $70. I only replaced the one, should I have done the other 3 while they were at it?

And as an added bonus - my shop replaced my plugs free!! Something about a VW/Audi plug update.

·
Gotta love the Bug
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so this is an UPDATE. I took my TS in on Tuesday, they changed the plugs and #4 coil pack. Now every time I cold start her (ie in the mornings on the way to work) I get a rumble and she feels like she's going to stall. RPMs jump, but after about 10 sec she is fine again -- what gives?

·
Super Moderator
5,334 Posts
I know on my 04 I would very seldomly have issues like what you are having, runs rough but it would stall. All my dealer could tell me was there was a bug (hahaha) in the computer program and that VW was rewriting it. Not sure if it's the same problem or not but...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts