VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '98 5 speed I am having some trouble shifting into 1st and 2nd gear when it is cold, especially below freezing. If I give my NB a 15 minute warm up in the morning, it shifts fine.

So something is getting ready to go out, does anybody have any suggestions?

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
Changed your transmission lube lately? Is it at the proper level? Synthetic or conventional?

A gearbox full of clean synthetic lube will shift best. If that doesn't cure it check/adjust the linkage.

·
2,646 Posts
Change the gearbox over to Redline MTL, Royal Purple, etc. and remove and thoroughly clean and regrease the ball and socket connections and moving parts on top of your transaxle. Don't unthread anything, but all the stuff that is together with clips and ball and socket will not change your adjustment any. You'll be amazed.

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well after all of the issues with the wife's transmission and clutch I did get around to checking my linkage and could not find any problems with it. My transmission does not utilize the ball/socket method so there is nothing to lube, but I will be changing my gear oil. Although I decided that I would use Amsoil in mine instead of Redline.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just get the gear-lube in the transmission changed-out with a quality synthetic of the appropriate viscosity; the improved transmission behavior is well worth the effort! :D

We had our trusted local independent VW/Audi service facility replace the 5-speed transmission gear-oil with the OEM synthetic GL4 75W90 gear-oil and we've been absolutely amazed at the improvement! Our 5-speed not only shifts much more easily into any gear, but the transmission is significantly quieter (far less transmission noise entering the car's cabin)! And the somewhat balky behavior the transmission used to exhibit when the car was started cold in the morning (our morning low temperatures have been near freezing for the past few weeks) is now completely gone. Like Mike Myer's character, Linda Richman, used to say during the Saturday Night Live, "Coffee Talk with Linda Richman", sketches, "It's like buttah...". :cool:

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just get the gear-lube in the transmission changed-out with a quality synthetic of the appropriate viscosity; the improved transmission behavior is well worth the effort! :D

We had our trusted local independent VW/Audi service facility replace the 5-speed transmission gear-oil with the OEM synthetic GL4 75W90 gear-oil and we've been absolutely amazed at the improvement! Our 5-speed not only shifts much more easily into any gear, but the transmission is significantly quieter (far less transmission noise entering the car's cabin)! And the somewhat balky behavior the transmission used to exhibit when the car was started cold in the morning (our morning low temperatures have been near freezing for the past few weeks) is now completely gone. Like Mike Myer's character, Linda Richman, used to say during the Saturday Night Live, "Coffee Talk with Linda Richman", sketches, "It's like buttah...". :cool:
I am planing on doing the gear oil change over the Thanksgiving Holiday and I am definitely looking for a change to the better.

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OK, I changed the gear oil yesterday and I have a noticeable change, for the better. I still feel the grabs/bumps when shifting to/from 1st and 2nd, but it goes into gear without any extra effort. The significant test will be when it gets consistently colder, in the 20's and 30's, then we shall see what it is like shifting to/from 1st and 2nd.

I wanted to put Amsoil in, but there is only one place in my area to get it and every time I tried to go get it, something came up. I already had four quarts of Redline, which was supposed to be for the wife's and my oldest sons NB.

The Gear Oil Change DIY is here ...

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
OK, here is the 80 day update; yes there is a noticeable difference. I can now shift gears much easier and it does not hang when shifting gears (knocking on wood). I still feel the "bump" or "snag" when shifting from 1st to 2nd, but I no longer have to wait for it to warm up; start it and go.

So for all members that have a manual transmission, change your gear oil to either Red-Line, Amsoil or a quality GL4 Full Synthetic; you will notice a difference.

For those members that have automatics, I am not certain what benefits would be gained, but I suggest that you change your gear oil anyway.

Even though VW gear oil is considered "Life Time", and I was told once by the manufacture of "Transition Lenses" that the car industry standard is eight years; I wanted "Transition Windows" :cool: ... Anyway, when I am told "Life Time" regarding cars, the length of time I use is 8 years or 80,000 miles (129,000 km) which ever comes first. So based on that do you need to change your gear oil? :confused:

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, here is my final update; nearly two years later I still have an issue shifting from first to second and it is most prominent in cold weather. Giving all the maintenance that I have done to date, I came to one conclusion; use a quality synthetic gear oil and yes, my first choice is Amsoil and second is Redline. The problem is day to day use; with the years and mileage that I have, IMHO I consider this issue as "Normal Operation".

... nothing last forever... :(

·
Registered
66 Posts
If your willing to do a little work you can get it smooth as silk.

1.) Oil Change
2.) Dogbone Bushes
3.) Gear stick Bush (Directly Below Gearstick) use Mk5 Golf item (Harder)
4.) 42 Draft Designs linkage bushes.
5.) Verdict Motorsport solid cable bracket bushes.
6.) audi tt 5 speed gearbox selector arm (Faster shifting)

or just go the non oem route and get a diesel geek linkage.

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If your willing to do a little work you can get it smooth as silk.

1.) Oil Change
2.) Dogbone Bushes
3.) Gear stick Bush (Directly Below Gearstick) use Mk5 Golf item (Harder)
4.) 42 Draft Designs linkage bushes.
5.) Verdict Motorsport solid cable bracket bushes.
6.) audi tt 5 speed gearbox selector arm (Faster shifting)

or just go the non oem route and get a diesel geek linkage.
... Follow up ...

I have not checked anything noted above, but it is on my list of things to consider; however I noticed nothing new in shifting gears during the Single-Digit Temperatures last week.

Drove it all frigid week without a problem and then on Sunday when it warmed up the engine light came on, :rant2: although it runs as expected. :confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts