NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
My other VW is a VW
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing I love on the newer VW's is the lane change turn signal feature. Tap the turn signal stalk and it flashes 3 time for a lane change.

VW has an accessory kit to add this feature to MKIV Golf/Jetta and B5 Passat but nothing listed for our Beetles. I installed this on my Passat and my Jetta and I was determined to put one in my Beetle. Well I am happy to say I got it installed last night and it works perfectly.

The part number I used was 000-998-229-A
It comes with a harness, connectors and a relay.
You have to remove 5 pins (wires) from the hazard switch connector and place them in a new connector then replace them with the supplied pins.
I followed the Golf wiring instructions. Don't worry about the wire color just follow the pin location.
I have a 2004 with the hazard switch in the upper part of the dash.

Before removing any pins.

After removing pins and adding supplied pins

New supplied connector with switch pins installed

VW repining tool

·
Registered
13,535 Posts

·
My other VW is a VW
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tool is from VW tools. They are expensive as hell. Probably $60+ for just the one tool.
ECS Tuning offers some nice pinning tools for a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I installed this kit in our MY2000 1.8T Beetle today and this thread was great - especially the pictures - thanks!

There were some differences on the MY2000 car which I wanted to point out in case anyone else is interested.

I followed the instructions for the Golf, with the following changes:

1. The Golf instructions say to remove the brown wire from position 6 on the car's emergency/hazard connector. On the MY2000 car, this wire is in position 5, so you need to remove position 5.

2. The Golf instructions say to remove the black/white wire from position 7 on the car's emergency/hazard connector. On the MY2000 car, this wire is in position 6, so you need to remove position 6.

3. After removing the wires from the car's connector, you must insert those wires into the connector which comes with the kit (the one with no wires in it). You do this using diagram number EBK-0096 in the instructions. However, there is a typo on this diagram. The wire you will insert into position 7 of the add-on kit connector is black/white, not black/green as indicated in the diagram. This mistake applies to the Golf as well as the Beetle. You will be taking the wire you removed from position 6 of the Beetle's emergency/hazard connector and inserting it into position 7 on the new connector.

4. The next step has you insert the wires which are part of the kit into the positions on the car's emergency/hazard connector - basically you are now replacing the wires you previously removed with the kit's wiring. As the Beetle had the brown wire in position 5, you should insert the brown wire from the kit into position 5 (not position 6 as you would for the Golf). Similarly with the black/white wire - this should be inserted into position 6 (and not position 7 as you would for the Golf).

One other tip - to remove the pins, I used the CE-91 tool from the Schwaben set ECS sells. This worked very well and made removing the pins very easy. I've used sewing needles, paperclips, etc previously, and it's a lot easier to use the correct tool.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
I just ordered one of these kits off ebay for my 2002 beetle.' Very cool upgrade. Very cool indeed!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I bought my NB mainly for my longer commute drives when minimizing the use of public transportation. Today, I had one of those drives and was wondering if there was a way to have this feature (which is on our Tiguans). This is great info! I will revisit this thread in a month or so. Depending on cost (I'm not a DIYer) and my wife's enthusiasm, I may pursue this with her Golf, too.

·
Member Since 2002
135 Posts
One thing I love on the newer VW's is the lane change turn signal feature. Tap the turn signal stalk and it flashes 3 time for a lane change. ...
Having just moved from a 2002 to 2017, I have to say I love this new feature. It may be one of those things which one doesn't appreciate until you use it.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
So, I'm antsy, (and a bit anal).
I ordered this piece, (hopefully be here early next week).
In either case, just to get a headstart on it, does the wiring bypass, or work in cahoots with the factory plugin?
Does the plugin (whichever end), plug into the back of the emer. flasher (in the middle of my 2002 beetle), dash?

I was just 'IN there' a bit ago, and there isn't a whole lotta room for another relay, (or anything else for that matter). :>(

Tks in advance for any/all info.

Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Steve,

Basically the kit modifies the factory wiring. The kit provides a new relay for generating the "comfort blinks" and this new relay inserts into the factory wiring between the car and the turn signal/hazard relay.

The nice thing is there is no cutting of wires or soldering so while you are moving wires around, you're not hacking anything up. It could be "undone".

It is pretty tight where the existing turn signal switch is. But fortunately the wiring in the kit is long enough that I was able to snake the new relay up and over to the right - above where the right seat heater switch is. If you look you will see there is some space up there where you can feed the new relay.

You will have to coil the new wiring and connectors by the turn signal switch a bit to make them fit, but it wasn't too hard.

Tom

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Ordered, and unordered a schwaben ce91 tool.
I ended up making one out of my Lisle wire tool. I ground down the longer of the two flat sided wire
disconnect dealies. Worked like a charm.
(could NOT see waiting a week or more), to do/finish this install.
Oh yeah, BTW. It works. :>)

Tks to all for all the pics/info.

Steve

·
Registered
55 Posts
This looks like a great mod. I was planning to tear into the center dash again for a new stereo and a new heat control panel (the existing panel I had to perform the fan switch over travel repair on), and of course replace the center console while I'm at it (since there is a big scratch on the top, and also many of the mount tabs are broken). Sort of a "while I'm in there, do it all". Oh yea, and it's a great time to replace the cabin air filter!

Thank you for all the information, very complete!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Any chance these photos can be reactivated?

·
High mileage driver found
268 Posts
This is cool! I'm going to order the kit tomorrow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts