NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
04 NBC Turbo Tiptronic
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No More PD In 2007

Has anyone heard about VW planning to replace the Pumpe-Duse with Central-Rail technology in 2007? If so, will it be for the US? What advantes do central-rails have? Any Fuel Economy? If they do plan to make it here and there is an advantage, I certainly don't know if i can wait!!!

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Main advantage is lower emissions. The phase in will start in 2007, and last over the next few years. Haven't found which year it will be introduced here.
The current PD motor will not meet the upcoming emissions standards, so they need to use the common rail injection system instead. The new common rail injection system has some neat stuff like multi-pulse injection using pulse width modulation for power adjustments. Should also be more reliable because it is not run off of the cam shaft.
Somewhere in the plans is to replace the current two valve head with the Euro four valve head.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Depends on the weight of your right foot.
If you look at what happened when the CTD went from a rotary injection pump to common rail, the power almost doubled, and the fuel economy stayed about the same. But, power hungry drivers grew huge heavy right feet. Which makes them walk funny, but drive very fast.

·
04 NBC Turbo Tiptronic
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I guess no one knows or has heard abything about when it'll be available in the US? Another question: if it would be available in the beginning of 07, would anyone wait for it or go ahead and get the PD? If so/not, why? I am having a REALLY hard time waiting!!!!

·
What The FudgeCake?
710 Posts
As am i. I am going to texas to buy my diesel, and im taking a week off work to drive it back and have a fun vacation etc!

But if i should wait until 2k7 (god cant believe its almost here!) because of the CR system....then i might. I dont know i dont think i can wait any longer than i already have!

If it doesnt boot economy that much, then i dont care about more power.

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
I wouldn't buy the first year of it anyway. So I wouldn't expect to buy it until 2008...which means 2 years in whatever situation you are currently in. I think cars are a terrible place to have money tied up or in debt because of...so I would recommend holding off...then who knows what will be available 2-3 years from now.

Actually, once everyone starts meeting the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel standards...you might see a bunch more diesel options here. Even one from Honda...which would be sweet.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
another TDI bought in Texas?

Whitacre said:
As am i. I am going to texas to buy my diesel, and im taking a week off work to drive it back and have a fun vacation etc!
I wonder what's up with the Texas TDI market? I bought mine in Austin a month ago -- couldn't find a TDI with the options we wanted any closer than that, so I flew over and drove it home (750 mi, avg 34mpg).

The new technology will get us really clean diesels, but they're already cleaner than gasoline on most ratings by virtue of the higher mileage, and dirtier on particulates and NOx.

We bought the Beeble in place of a Prius, which doesn't get any better mileage, still has some technical unknowns and doesn't look anywhere near as cool as a NB. We're quite pleased on all counts.

·
What The FudgeCake?
710 Posts
Well i am going to buy in Houston because my grandparents live there...and if i thought i was good at wheeling and dealing, my grandpa creates miracles with his silver tounge!

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Both Houston and Dallas-FW area dealers seem to stock good numbers of TDI's, including hard to find NB TDI's. So email all of them, and then call those who respond.

We bought our NB TDI from a dealer in Texas (VWStore in Robinson near Dallas FW) and had it shipped to us!:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts