NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
TDI Lover
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay guys and gals

Just Had the hard drive crash in my computer besides eBay does anyone no of a good web site to order one from cheap.

Don

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Don_n_Herbie said:
Hay guys and gals

Just Had the hard drive crash in my computer besides eBay does anyone no of a good web site to order one from cheap.

Don
www.buy.com usually has good prices and free shipping!

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Oy. First time I've seen anybody recommend tigerdirect.
Their prices are good, but their customer service bites and you're lucky if you get what you ordered.

·
The NC Cat
399 Posts
Don_n_Herbie said:
Hay guys and gals

Don

http://www.newegg.com/ and http://www.outpost.com/ are the only websites I buy from.

This had been suggested by a friend:

http://www.weirdstuff.com/cgi-bin/category/HAR000

but I never bought anything from there. However http://www.weirdstuff.com/sunnyvale/index.htm is a scrap/surplus store in Sunnyvale ( CA ) and I bought plenty of stuff there and was always happy. For cheap electronics I often go to surplus stores, if you have one in your area it may be worth to pay a visit.

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
newegg or zipzoomfly I would never order from Tigerdirect. They Suck with a big S

·
Buggin Out
67 Posts
www.z-buy.com

I buy all my computer stuff from them. Great prices, great shipping times, great customer service. They typically handle a lot of OEM system products but they are all still name brand. For your purposes I know off hand they have some of the best Seagate and Western Digital hard drives. Check them out before you buy anything. They typically have closeouts going on and if I remember correctly they have Seagate hard drives on clearance right now.

·
I bleed Burnt Orange!
687 Posts
Local places are good only if the price plus shipping from online retailers exceeds the local price.

Price Watch is the place to start. People rate the merchants, and they list the prices.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
I vote for newegg.com!

I just replaced the PSU in my computer. I had a 350watt that burned out on me. I ordered a brand new 500watt unit with 2 onboard fans and one external, all with speed control. I ordered it Wednesday afternoon and had it before noon on Friday. Plugged the unit in that night and boom, she booted right up. Turns out my high processor temps were all due to the old PSU. Also got a $10 rebate on top of it.

newegg.com man...best out there in my opinion.

john

·
TDI Lover
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all for the advice> Looks like I am going to need a new system. My old system was a HP. Hp put the recovery info in a hidden partion on the hard drive which i cant acces HP does not have a Recovery cd for my system thery tell me buy a new sysetm. With that response you can guess who I am staying away from. Would cost me about $300 to revive a 3 year old system after i buy windows and a hard drive its not worth it

·
5/23/10 <3
11,122 Posts
I also vote newegg...I've bought all of my computer stuff from them and my boyfriend does as well and has for a long time. Never any complaints. Pricewatch is a good place to start though...lets you compare prices and get good deals and know if anyone is trying to rip you off.

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
First off, I agree that it's probably not worth it.

But...there's no reason you can't format the drive and install Windows on it, right? It'll cost you the price of Windows, but nothing more. The reason I say this isn't worth it, though, is that you don't really know what went wrong with the drive. If it was more than a software failure, then the drive may simply crash again.

My point is simply that there's no way Hp can lock you from formatting that drive. You can definitely format it, if you want to.

·
TDI Lover
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hard drive is trash thats why I need the recovery disk which HP cant supply cost about $100 would need to buy a windows program cost $200. total 300 for a 3 year out of date system not worth it

·
TDI Lover
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not Koolaid. My desk top system i have been a HP man for a long time know with their response when I called for recovery disks they can eat poop before i buy anything HP again

1 - 20 of 30 Posts