NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 1998 bettle. Where is the computer? i cant find it and i am having problems with it.

·
Ali's Dad
229 Posts
OBDII plugin is below the steering column (just under the front edge of the plastic panel below the steering column). You shouldn't need physical access to the computer. Get the car scanned (free at Autozone) or find someone in your area with VAG-COM and get it diagnosed properly. Once you get it scanned - post codes here and plenty of folks will be quick to help you troubleshoot.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
have a 1998 bettle. Where is the computer? i cant find it and i am having problems with it.
To get to the ECM you need to take the top dash apart. First the plastic center piece than the two side pieces. Then there is a metal cover that needs to be unscrewed and the ECM is located under the drivers side panel. If you go in there you might as well change your Cabin Filter which is located under the passenger side Dash Panel. It will definitely need changing! Why do you think there is an issue with your Computer/ECM module?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
ECM is usually the last thing to have problems. If you have a CEL on, get the codes read. Many times most of the problems are due to lack of maintenance, broken and rotten rubber under the hood. Your car is 14-15 years old, a lot of items probably need to be replaced by now.

Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, O'Reilly almost always have a scan tool to borrow. Also Aamco Transmissions will scan your car for free as well.

You need to start with the basics and then decide what the next step is.

More info as to engine, trans, mileage and what your actual problem is would be more helpful so people could comment appropriately.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts