NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the fuse diagram for my 1999 New Beetle but cannot find any reference to the one that opens the boot ( or hood). Can anyone point me in right direction pse? Thanks in anticipation!

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Just to make sure we get things right, you want to get into the trunk? Or do you want to get into the engine compartment?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
On the other side of the pond, the trunk is typically referred to as the boot, and since that, and not the engine compartment hood has an electric release, it seems like a no-brainer. I'm going for trunk lid! :p

Going to look it up and see what I can find for the poster!

Try, in the central electric fuse panel,
-Position 6, 5 a. - Central Locking System
-Position 38, 15 a. - Luggage Compartment Light, Central Locking System

The electric motor for this release is contained within the Central Locking System circuit, according to my paper Bentley, and identified as Decklid central locking system motor (V53).

M.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
I assumed that, but they also say hood. Just trying to clarify.

If it is the trunk, what is going on with it exactly? When you hit the button, do you get any sort of noise?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry Smileybug, forgot this was mainly American site. Dumb Brit huh? It is the trunk I have prob with. Press release button on drivers door and rock all happens. No noise, nothing. Trunk will open with key in lock but not button on key fob. Fuel hatch is next to trunk button and this works ok. Fuse was my first thought but maybe something else? Central locking is functioning ok. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My otherridesaVette. Thanks for input on this. Please see previous posting re central locking. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
That you "hear" nothing is not an indication that the motor is not working. The problem could be the switch, within the central locking system, the motor, or simply a needed adjustment in the power release mechanism. Diagnosis has to be done by a process of elimination. If you have checked the fuses and they are good, you have done the first step. I would start by checking for power at the release mechanism when the switch is tripped. With the motor and mechanism exposed, you should be able to tell, either by visual or sound, if the motor is working. If not, a multimeter will be required to determine if power is getting to that point. You can, at this point, also check for proper ground by doing a continuity test. If there is no power at the motor, then a more involved check of the switch itself is next.

M.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts