NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't deny that I obsess over every little thing or whatever I think looks like a concern. So I'm wondering if this is a concern.

I mean I must have bumped something underneath the car. at least on the left side. I would think I would have hear it because I don't play my music real loud. I think I'm more worried about bumping it again w/o being aware or something. Btw, I do try to slow down when I know I'm on a bumpy road because the car is down so low.

It looks like I lost some screws/nails along the way. Sorry, these images are all in slightly different angles.

The one with arrow is what I noticed couple days ago. My stepdad told me that it was cosmetic and wait until it falls off to get it fixed.

·
Registered
944 Posts
can't actually see what is hanging down in that last pic. Just wait until it falls off? Chances are if that happens you're going to rip something else off too. It's there for a reason (even though a bit flimsy). Get some short trim screws and button that cover up.

·
Registered
944 Posts
And...

It looks to be hanging below the wheel rim. If that's what it looks to be, that is some part of your suspension :eek:. What else is in that associated area... steering knuckle, sway bar, brake lines, strut.

·
Registered
11,545 Posts
Needless to say; inspect the car underneath the front end and see if there is any mechanical problems; lift it up, put on jack stands or take it to a shop... have them put it on a lift to inspect for any possible problems or damage. Typically, it is just the plastic panels that break and get messed up.

There are 3 plastic sound panel pieces; they are very commonly damaged by road debris and many other obstructions.... many of the screws are held together by small metal clips which act as the threads to screw into(aside from the screws that go into the metal chassis). The screws and clips will disappear; as the panels get hit and damaged; many times you cannot get the clips, screws to work again.... as the panels mounting points are damaged. I replaced mine a number of times; until I finally gave up! They get trashed all the time and the only permanent solution; I know of, are one piece aftermarket metal replacements. So, either get new plastic panels that will get destroyed again and again with daily driving conditions... or buy a aftermarket solution; that will even protect the fragile oil pan from damage. Here are a couple of the aftermarket skid plates:

Diesel Geek; Panzer Plate.

Panzer Plate heavy duty aluminum skid plate kit for 19982010 New Beetles by www.dieselgeek.com

Evolution Thor Skid Plate
Volkswagen Skid Plates

Original VW sound absorbing panels:

Here is a parts diagram of the bottom of the beetle front end; this should give you an idea of what to replace if you decide to go that route:

http://www.wagenstad.com/index.php?modid=49&page=8-825-10

You can get the parts at your VW dealer but the front plate has been reproduced by Dorman Products; it is cheaper then the VW part.... should work just a well and even includes all of the needed hardware as well.

part # 924-200: 2007-98 Volkswagen Beetle, Golf & Jetta. Includes hardware for easy installation.
Front Center; Includes Hardware

http://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearch.aspx?q=inmeta:year=2002+inmeta:make=VOLKSWAGEN+inmeta:model=BEETLE+inmeta:engine=L4%20%2D%201%2E8L%20%281781%20CC%29%3A%20GAS%3A%20FI%3A%20T%3A%20AWV+inmeta:parttype=Undercar%20Splash%20Shield&dnavs=inmeta:year=2002+inmeta:make=VOLKSWAGEN+inmeta:model=BEETLE+inmeta:engine=L4%20%2D%201%2E8L%20%281781%20CC%29%3A%20GAS%3A%20FI%3A%20T%3A%20AWV+inmeta:parttype=Undercar%20Splash%20Shield&type=parttype

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can't actually see what is hanging down in that last pic. Just wait until it falls off? Chances are if that happens you're going to rip something else off too. It's there for a reason (even though a bit flimsy). Get some short trim screws and button that cover up.
He was talking about the tear on left side that I had an arrow pointed to.

But yeah, I don't think I can wait until anything just falls off. I don't like doing things like that. Waiting until things get worse.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Needless to say; inspect the car underneath the front end and see if there is any mechanical damage; jack it up, put on jack stands or take it to a shop... have them put it on a lift to inspect for any possible problems or damage. Typically, it is just the plastic panels that break and get damaged.

There are 3 plastic pieces; that are makes up these sound panels, they are very commonly damaged by road debris and many other obstructions.... many of the screws are held by small metal clips which act as the threads for them to screw into(aside from the screws that go into the metal chassis). The screws and clips will disappear as the panels get hit and damaged; many times you cannot get the clips, screws to work again.... as the panels are damaged and cannot hold these together again. I replaced mine a number of times; until I finally gave up! They get damaged all the time and the only permanent solution; I know of, are aftermarket metal replacements. So, either get new plastic panels that will get broken, destroyed again and again... or buy a aftermarket solution that will even protect oil pan from damage. Here are a couple of the aftermarket offerings:

Diesel Geek; Panzer Plate.

Panzer Plate heavy duty aluminum skid plate kit for 19982010 New Beetles by www.dieselgeek.com

Evolution Thor Skid Plate
Volkswagen Skid Plates

Original VW sound absorbing panels:

Here is a parts diagram of the bottom of the beetle front end; this should give you an idea of what to replace if you decide to go that route:

2002 New Beetle VW Replacement Parts

You can get the parts at your VW dealer but the front plate has been reproduced by Dorman Products; it is cheaper then the VW part.... should work just a good and includes the needed hardware as well.

part # 924-200: 2007-98 Volkswagen Beetle, Golf & Jetta. Includes hardware for easy installation.
Front Center; Includes Hardware

Dorman Products - Search Results
Thanks. I will do that as soon as possible. I drive on some bumpy streets. Last thing I want to do is make it worse. I wanna try to get it into the shop right away.

I'll think about the aftermarket stuff.

I wasn't sure how much of a concern it be so I figured I'd take pictures and see what all of you guys thought. So I'm glad to get some feedback.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts