NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ruby's master mechanic
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have searched high and low and cannot find anything *similar* Maybe its becuse everyone describes sounds differently...

Here we go,

After I start my engine, rather AS I start the engine, after the crank, there is this terrible noise the comes from the hood area. From what I read, It sounds like it might be a flywheel issue? It kind of whirs but louad and mechanical sounding, the best descriptor of the noise is *wretched*. I'm sorry I cannot describe it better, but it is awful.

Only happens immediately after start, lasts approximately 1 second, not high pitched. It used to be sporadic but it is pretty regular now. :(

Help??

99 new beetle, 5 speed manual, 2.0

·
Who is John Galt?
695 Posts
Our '02 does that as well. I think it is the secondary air injection pump.

·
Ruby's master mechanic
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm all interesting thoughts. It seems to happen less when I have been driving a lot in one day, and more in the mornings. This seems to correllate with the sticky start thought.
What exactly is a sticky starter? Do I need to replace the starter?

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
Common issue. Starter bendix gets dirty with clutch dust. You can remove the starter, disassemble and clean...but it will return.

It isn't harming anything...just more of an annoyance.

·
Who is John Galt?
695 Posts
What about the auto transmission cars that do it?

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts

·
Ruby's master mechanic
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay so its been awhile and this is still happening. I would like to attempt to clean it out like suggested. Anyone have a link to a DIY or a how-to? What type of cleaner should I use??

Thank you all so much for your help, you guys a truly wonderful.

·
Registered
605 Posts
sticky starter. common issue on these. Warm weather it disappears. Cold weather it appears and gets worse.

Easy fix. Run an amp test on the starter circuit. Make sure everything is good. 140-160 amps if im correct is spec.

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
Okay so its been awhile and this is still happening. I would like to attempt to clean it out like suggested. Anyone have a link to a DIY or a how-to? What type of cleaner should I use??

Thank you all so much for your help, you guys a truly wonderful.
This link is based on a TDI Jetta, but its all the same stuff and process.

How to re & re the starter - TDIClub Forums

·
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A
4,148 Posts
Hello, Ernie, my 99 2.0 has been doing that for over a year now. A VW guy I trust completely told me it was indeed the bendix is dirty and I have 2 options:
1. Take the starter off, clean it
2. Replace the starter.
It got so bad, my wife is embarassed when he does that. Now, the last time I drove him, it sounds much much worse, like someone dumped some bolts in the dryer! I amm assuming that the starter MUST be replaced. I called the dealership, they want over 300 bucks for a rebuilt starter, I was shocked. the total price with tax is 403.00. Anyone care to tell me if this is a bad idea? Should I buy a starter and have it put on by someone else? This is whan I wished I was mechanically inclined.

·
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A
4,148 Posts
By the way, the local Kentuckians on here, does anyone know a good mechanic who works on VWs? One that won't skin mme alive?:(

·
5/23/10 <3
11,122 Posts
GermanAutoParts.com

You can get the starter for half the price there. I haven't had the starter done on my car so I couldn't tell you what it entails for replacement, but if you have someone else who can do it and you really want to replace it, then I'd get someone else other than the dealer to do it.

Are you sure the noise you are hearing isn't coming from something else? Mine is a slight grind but only for a second or two and its not really very loud. The is the 2nd year that its been doing it with no change in sound.

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
What about the auto transmission cars that do it?
The starter mechanism has a shaft assembly that must be dry, no lubricant (otherwise it attracts the dust that causes the problem), but ANY dust in that shaft can cause the bendix to make the noise as it disengages and slows down so giving the characteristic noise as you stop cranking with the starter. The noise lasts typically only approx 1-2secs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts