NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

So when I did my last oil change I realized that I had a caramel color sludge on my oil cap! The oil from the oil pan is perfectly black, no caramel color at all! and because of that I realized that my work is maybe not far enough from my home for the engine to warm up properly, and could cause condensation in the engine that could cause the camarel color sludge! So, this morning when I left for work! I noticed that, indeed my blue light (tells that the engine is cold) shut down when I parked the car at work! I am not loosing any oil nor coolant! So im pretty sure it's only condensation!

My question is : is there any product or anything else than letting my engine run a lit before or after getting to work that could help me with that?

Thanks for the futur answer :)

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been changing my oil every 3000 miles (5000km exactly) should I do it more often? I use high mileage oil too! Should I switch to a normal fully synthetic oil? and will do my pcv, I have a timing belt, water pump and thermostat comin too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I used to see this when I was a tech at a dealer. Mostly happened on the 2.0 liters and early passats. This was in Seattle area and we always assumed it was from short trips combined with the humidity. Some thought the penzoil the dealer was using was junk as well. It was VERY common. I would not be overly concerned about it myself.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
My wife and I used to go up there. Nice area. I remember some pretty cool shows up there. Also went to see the Canucks play once.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Don't use "High Mileage" Motor Oil. They are not VW approved motor oils and all they do is swell the seals to minimize leaks. A full synthetic is usually best especially in the early VW engines which were prone to sludge. The VW approved oils do have an additive package that helps prevent sludge. Castrol 5W40 usually works really well or Mobil One 0W40. Both are VW approved motor oils and will work just fine.
With synthetics you also won't have to change the oil as often. I usually go 5000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first. I believe that is app. 8000km between changes.
The brownish milky substance could also be because of a vacuum leak or a faulty PCV valve. Check for any leaks and replace the hoses. My brother had the same problem in his 2.0 FSI Passat and it turned out to be a small vacuum leak from his Boost gauge. After that was fixed no more milky substance in the oil cap which caused by excessive moisture or condensation.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
There are a few possibilities on what can cause the "Peanut Butter" looking material in the oil filler cap.

1) Faulty O2 Sensor(s) and it may not throw a code
2) Vacuum Leak any where in the system
3) Upper Air Intake Leak
4) Vacuum Canister (above/behind rear passenger side wheel)

It has happened to HiLiter more than once and here is that Thread ... it has happened again and looks like I have a leak in the Vacuum canister.

Word of Caution, this "PB" stuff will coat the top inside of the valve cover and if it gets bad enough it will cause your valves to chatter; which means they are not getting enough lubrication.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would inspect the gaskets for the oil filler cap and engine breather tube where it attaches to the valve cover. These often deteriorate with age allowing air and moisture to enter which mixes with the hot engine gases giving you the oil sludge that you are describing.

Diagram via Jim Ellis VW

·
Registered
758 Posts
My daughter's New Beetle gets some of this stuff on the oil cap too. We always use full synthetic, so I think her car gets it due to the short trips she makes. Her car rarely gets driven more than a couple of miles per trip, then it cools down completely.

An all electric car would be perfect for this kind of usage, but they're too costly compared to her used New Beetle.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
My daughter's New Beetle gets some of this stuff on the oil cap too. We always use full synthetic, so I think her car gets it due to the short trips she makes. Her car rarely gets driven more than a couple of miles per trip, then it cools down completely.

An all electric car would be perfect for this kind of usage, but they're too costly compared to her used New Beetle.
It really shouldn't get any of this type of substance on the Oil filler cap regardless of the length of trip the car makes. My old place of work was 2.2 miles from my home and never once was there any milky/peanut buttery type substance on my oil fillter cap. If there is than there is a problem which needs to be addressed. Vacuum leaks are the most common culprits. On the 2.0 liter the Oil filler part (Number 25 in the picture a couple of post up) does get old and cracks or comes apart in some way and leaks air. Also a failing PCV valve can be an issue. Moisture build up in the crankcase is never a good thing. It can break down the oil and over time increase engine wear.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I definitely got this when I was driving my car short distances. Cleaned up the cap and made sure the car got to temp in most of my driving and it never came back. Never replaced a vac line or anything either.

·
Registered
758 Posts
It really shouldn't get any of this type of substance on the Oil filler cap regardless of the length of trip the car makes. My old place of work was 2.2 miles from my home and never once was there any milky/peanut buttery type substance on my oil fillter cap. If there is than there is a problem which needs to be addressed. Vacuum leaks are the most common culprits. On the 2.0 liter the Oil filler part (Number 25 in the picture a couple of post up) does get old and cracks or comes apart in some way and leaks air. Also a failing PCV valve can be an issue. Moisture build up in the crankcase is never a good thing. It can break down the oil and over time increase engine wear.
My engine isn't throwing any codes, so I'm guessing there is no large vacuum leak. Also, I don't believe my 2.0 BEV engine has a PCV. At least, I can't find one online.

·
Registered
708 Posts
My engine isn't throwing any codes, so I'm guessing there is no large vacuum leak. Also, I don't believe my 2.0 BEV engine has a PCV. At least, I can't find one online.
You are correct. It has a recirculating gas vent hose with a moisture heater element attached to the air intake tube.. The heater element heats up the moisture to vaporize it before it goes back into your engine.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
You are correct. It has a recirculating gas vent hose with a moisture heater element attached to the air intake tube.. The heater element heats up the moisture to vaporize it before it goes back into your engine.
That's why I was mentioning the part that the oil filler cap gets screwed into. It's plastic and has cracked/failed in the past. I would take it off and inspect it carefully. It may be the cause of your condensation.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'll have to take a look at this on Sunday (stuff to do until then). There sure is a lot of plastic on these engines. :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts