NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter recently got a 2003 Beetle GLS cabrio. She wants to be able to plug her Ipod into the radio. Her old hardtop had a Sony head unit with an aux input but I don't want to install an aftermarket unit if I can get away with it because the car will be parked often with the top down.

The car has the factory cassette Monsoon system with no CD changer. The back of the receiver does onnot have the round changer plug like I've seen on others. Looking one many web sites I seen many adapters that they claim will work, some have round plugs and some have the square plugs.

What do I need to pull this off?

Re'

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You can search on ebay and there is a guy that sells cassette players with the Aux input. He will also convert your cassette unit for around $60 as I recall?

Or you can update the head unit with a newer model Monsoon head unit that has the CD player. This unit will play CD's with MP3 songs, like 200 songs per disk, also you can add an Aux input for under $10 as well.

You can likely find a used CD/MP3/Aux/Sat head unit for around $150, maybe cheaper??

I also purchased device that will allow you to steam your music via Bluetooth, Pandora and have hands free speaker phone with sound through the car speakers for about $45 that you connect to the Aux input.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/815827-post1.html

I have all the OE Sirus stuff as well to add to the car, just have not had time to do it yet!

·
Registered
14,072 Posts
Vw, actually sold a number of kits; that were oem ipod interface adapters... there are allot of aftermarket solutions as well. If you wanted the VW adapter kit; it usually took out your ability to use the disc changer... which doesn't seems to be an issue with your situation. The VW adapter kit; made it, so you could control the ipod through the stock head unit. This was a good solution; if you didn't need to use the disc changer, now... all these years later, which ipod it would now to compatible with etc. I don't know. I"m assuming it would have been the current ipod at the time; so "forward compatibility" is questionable; you would hope the tight apple/vw integration would increase the possibility they would still work. Maybe others; can chime in with their beetles that have this older vw adapter kits installed; can tell us about forward compatibility with current apple/ipod/iphone units that work with these older setups.

So, they seem to have come down to:

A. do you want to use the factory head unit?

If "yes"; then the solutions were:

1. an adapter that was more of a "aux out" type of solution without head unit control of the ipod. You controlled the ipod with the ipods built in physical buttons; basically played through the head unit without much controlling integration.

2. an adapter that used the disc changer connection to actually control the ipod through that connection, eliminating your use of that, for an actual physical disc changer.

There were a number of the VW ones they made; so, research would be needed to see which one was compatible with your beetle and head unit. Here are some listed from ECS tuning.

Home Page > Search > 1K0051444 - ECS Tuning Inc

So, the question would be; what you want your solution to do for you ultimately and then see what your options are. Do you want full integration with your head unit (control ipod through the head unit) or just want a "aux in" type of adapter or as jfoj mentioned, something that had more modern hands free connectivity compatibility (wireless, bluetooth etc.)?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
She does not want to go the MP3 route. Would rather use her iPod through and aux input.

I already contacted the company that does the aux conversions, after sending him info and pics of the radio he said a conversion cannot be done on this one.

This car does not have a CD changer, although the receiver has a cd button I have no way of knowing if it supports it.

I have researched and found many of these adaptors. No way to know which ones will actually work on he car?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, you want to:

1. continue to use your stock vw head unit
2. use a ipod as a music source
3. control the ipod through the head unit

is this right?
Yes. The car is a cabrio adn I do not want to risk the radio being stolen when the car is left with the top down, It is also a Monsoon unit, which I'm fairly sure will not work with a aftermarket headunit unless I replace the amp.

NOT EXCLUSIVELY, just need an Aux input jack

NO. The Ipod controls on adaptors I've seen are primitive at best and would make it a pain to sort through 5gig of music.

I've looked into using one of the newer CD MP3 Monsoon units, but I cannot seem to find one for a reasonable price. Most I see for a decent price come As IS and have no unlock code with them.

Re'

·
Registered
120 Posts
I got a Bluetooth Hands Free FM Modulator that plugs into cigarette jack on amazon for $45. Runs everything through the FM but you use either the phone or the Bluetooth unit to control the music, however you can answer an any phone with it. You can also get a remote or a steering wheel remote unit as well.

Previously I had a cassette adapter but couldn't answer phone with it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
120 Posts
GOgroove FlexSMART X2 Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Charging, Music Control, and Hands-Free Calling for Android, iPhone, Blackberry, & Windows Smartphones
http://amzn.com/B003PPGOC0

works GREAT in cig lighter and has a power off button: no wires, iphone music through radio, and hands free calling!

ANd if you hold down on the blue "Answer" key, it activates Siri too!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I know in my GTI with Monsoon, I use an adapter that plugs into the cd changer port in the amp (I don't have the changer though). I then have an aux cable run to the front of the car. It just makes the car think there is a changer, but runs the aux through it. Works great. You just hit the CD button twice (that's how it would get to the changer normally). It came with the car so I couldn't tell you where it was bought. And last I looked, that company (can't remember off the top of my head), didn't sell it anymore. But I imagine you can find something similar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts