NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am sure this has been covered so maybe Someone will direct me but to get it started here we go. Just picked up a 05 2.0 auto car, 98k miles and runs great...big issue is code 1314. Seems like a hard code in the ecu or something has failed keeping it alive. Car does run and drive but wants to go into limp in. The other code was 1045, triptronic switch f189. That code cleared but have not tried driving. I have seen comments concerning the shift indicator and issues there. The cluster shows appropriate selection and scan tool as well. I do notice the all red leds are illuminated all the time, I thought they lit as gear was selected. Also the "foot on brake" leds do not illuminate all all. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance1314

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Always use the Ross Tech Wiki; to look up trouble codes:

Just dealt with the tiptronic switch issue; on a 2005 Convertible with the 09G Tiptronic 6 speed trans. In my case, the selector/switch/assembly; was broken and the magnets were gone. Replacement of the assembly; solved the issue and I super glued the magnet in place, for good measure, as per the VW tech bulletin. After installing a new selector assembly, I used VCDS by Ross Tech, to reset the codes and the trans kickdown settings. Then, I took it for a test drive; the shifting issues, went away, no trans codes or illuminated lights in the speedo, the shifting is vastly improved and it seems, that transmission is doing fine.

As to the ecu related code; don't worry about it for now, I had similar codes and replacing the trans/gear selector assembly, has seemed to clear that up and a number of other codes. Keep in mind, if there is a major failure of a particular component; it can cause, the communications bus, to go down and throw, a number of codes, indicating the communication of modules, including the ecu, has stopped. Unplugging, repair or replacement of the offending part; tends, to allow the communication bus, to come back online and things, tend to work ok, after that, plus the resolution of the initial problem, as well, helps get everything back to normal. If things are really screwy; a "hard reset", of th ecu, can cure things, at times.

So, you have your work cut out for you; testing with VCDS and checking for codes, can be helpful diagnosing problems. Read up on the tech bulletin, for the trans selector and you may need to pull the center console to get to it and possibly, glue magnets, that may have fallen off or the whole assembly, may need to be replaced with a good used or brand new one. Let us know, how things go and report back, as your troubleshooting, needed repairs, move forward. We can go from there, thanks! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks billymade, I feel I'm overthinking it anyways. I feel pretty sure (hope) that once i repair or possiblly replace the shifter/magnet issue things will smooth out. This is about the 5th new beetle i have picked up and all have had some type of tedious things but this one is a first. I'll update as I go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about this. Upon further research I realized the shifter is missing parts....that would be my tiptronic code. I'm going to replace and see if that will kill that hard code in ecu. I will update.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Interesting! That was EXACTLY, the same issue with the 05' I am working on; the magnets were missing and other parts of the slider, other parts of the assembly, were gone/missing. I swapped in a good one, did the kick down rest with VCDS and all the codes cleared, the car shfits fantastic, now! Hopefully, this will be the same fix your you! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fingers, toes and any other appendages I can cross. Trying to get my hands on a good w/o paying 300.00

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I got a used shifter assembly, still costly at 115.00 but hey, it's still cheaper than new and warrantied. I have the interior pulled out cleaning everything so I have not driven but with the new (used) tiptronic plate installed the hard code in the ecu is gone..YEA!!!!!. So hope to get test drive in this weekend and will confirm all is good. Now just need to find a decent drivers seat or covers, this one has cracks but the rest are perfect.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Thats great news! I just serviced the 09G tiptronic trans with a fluid/filter kit from blauparts.com; definitely improved the shifting quality and performance, highly recommended! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts