NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm interested in getting my first stick car as a secondary vehicle to learn stick on and for mostly recreation.

I've been leaning towards used Volvos as we've had good luck so far with an automatic 850 and then later a V70 as our primary vehicle. That said I also like the idea of getting something different and a Beetle would go over well with my wife.

I'm a little leery of VW's reliability ratings though and the 115HP seems a bit anemic.

What are the things to look out for buying these cars used? When should the timing belt be changed on them? Do you need to get a turbo model for these cars to feel peppy?

I'm looking to spend $4000 or under. Thanks in advance for your time.

- Joe

·
Registered
950 Posts
If you could find a TDI with a manual transmission that was in good shape it would be a good car. Especially if you want to learn to drive a manual, the TDI is very forgiving of hesitant shifting and doesn't stall out so easily.

Timing belt depends on the year, some manuals state 60,000 miles. I always get mine done between 80,000 KM and 100,000 KM.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I had a 2.0, which has the 115hp, and coupled with a manual, it was peppy enough for sure. Its also very robust and cheap to maintain. I learned stick on it and it was really easy and forgiving. I love my 1.8t now, but the 2.0 was a perfectly good engine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you could find a TDI with a manual transmission that was in good shape it would be a good car. Especially if you want to learn to drive a manual, the TDI is very forgiving of hesitant shifting and doesn't stall out so easily.

Timing belt depends on the year, some manuals state 60,000 miles. I always get mine done between 80,000 KM and 100,000 KM.
The TDIs seem to get a very hefty price premium used due to the mileage ratings I think. If this were a primary car I could see paying that premium perhaps but since its not I was not thinking of going there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts