NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Hopefully someone can help me here, I need to replace control arm lower rear bushing on the driver side. In order to do this I need to remove control arm from the car and press in a new busing.

The problem:
When removing the pivot bolt (see pic)it does not have enough room to be removed because it hits what appears to be the oil pan for the trans. How does one remove the control arm on the driver side?
Thx
Bw

112911144101.jpg

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hello all,

Hopefully someone can help me here, I need to replace control arm lower rear bushing on the driver side. In order to do this I need to remove control arm from the car and press in a new busing.

The problem:
When removing the pivot bolt (see pic)it does not have enough room to be removed because it hits what appears to be the oil pan for the trans. How does one remove the control arm on the driver side?
Thx
Bw

View attachment 89289
If it doesn't clear the pan then don't remove the bolt. Remove the Control arm. Loosen all the other bolts first and then when it's the pivot bolts turn just loosen it as far as it goes and pull the control arm forward and out.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Bentley shows removing the 2 dogbone mount bolts on the fire wall and then "Press engine/transmission subframe forward e.g using a tire iron" That should give you enough clearence to get the bolt clear of the control arm. Sorry I don't have my scanner connected at the moment and coud not attache the bentley pictures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reply..Ahhh I guess this is why it's called "pivot" bolt. Ill try removing the other bolts first.

The Haynes manual only shows removal for the passenger side which doesn't have this issue removing the pivot bolt.

thx
bw

·
Registered
20 Posts
removal

just loosen engine mounts and use an engine jack to move the engine and transaxl over just enough to remove the bolt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts