VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of converting my 1999 NB to electric. Since it is now completely electric, I am looking for ideas to reduce usage.

I plan to replace all bulbs within reason with LED not to look cool, but to reduce usage. My biggest concern is for the bigger lights or lights that are on continuously.

I plan to disconnect the DRL.

Any suggestions on what or where to purchase?

TIA

Mitch

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looking for help on EV conversion

During my conversion to EV, I wonder if I could get some help with some basics. I am not real mechanical. Since I have removed my automatic 2.0 an installed a 5-speed with electric motor, withOUT a clutch (not needed). I have questions about some electrical issues.

Questions:

1. What controls the backup lights going on? Is there something attached to the shifter? Something I might have lost when changing shifters.

2. Need to find the fuel gauge wire which will now be used to show battery level.

3. Speedometer? Where is the wiring, is it attached to the transmission?

4. Tachometer? Same question, want to use it to show motor RPM.

·
μολὼν λαβ
213 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
As for LED bulbs, check out superbrightleds.com. Their prices aren't the lowest, but their LEDs are high quality and bright. Not cheap and dim like what you find on ebay.

Questions:

1. What controls the backup lights going on? Is there something attached to the shifter? Something I might have lost when changing shifters.
There is a switch on the transmission that controls the backup lights

2. Need to find the fuel gauge wire which will now be used to show battery level.
I would start by looking at the fuel sender under the back seat. I might have the wire color at home but I'm not positive. Either way, the fuel level is most likely going to be a resistance value, generally 40-200 ohms or so depending on the sender etc. To work it like a battery gauge you would have to convert your electric charge into an equivalent resistance.

3. Speedometer? Where is the wiring, is it attached to the transmission?
Should be on the transmission somewhere.

4. Tachometer? Same question, want to use it to show motor RPM.
Not positive but I believe it's on the engine somewhere, maybe the crank position sensor has something to do with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts