NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '03 convertible with lots of picky little issues, mostly caused by living in the tropics (Kona coast, Hawaii) for 12 years. Most recently the top stopped working while a friend was driving it. She parked, put the top up, and it never would come down again. I tried the door switch dance but no luck, so I did a battery disconnect computer reset. Still no joy.

The top warning light works as before, just nothing happens when I hit the retract switch.The top latch works, but the catch system when it's seated has failed (there must have been twenty little pieces where a simple spring would do). Do VW engineers get bonuses for over-complicating simple tasks?

After reading all the uber-complicated repair threads, I'd just as soon be done with it. I don't mind a manual top, and EVERYTHING on this car is hideously over-complicated ... So, what are the steps to simply do away with the power top system, including those cute little mechanism-hiding flaps.

To cut to the chase what must I do to go entirely manual? The sun is out and I await a solution, mahalo*

*Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Power to manual conversion

OK, never mind. I figured it out. I now have a manual top that goes up and down with minimal fuss, and I still have the cute little flaps!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'Unpowered top' How hard should it be , how do I shut the buzzer?

I gave up on finding why my top won't work, and followed the disconnect process in the manual. I don't mind manually working the top, but ... it is really heavy. Am I fighting the hydraulics (and if so, what do I do), or is the top just that heavy?

Also, how do I shut off the buzzer (it goes for eight seconds every time I start moving sfter a stop, very irritating in traffic), and turn off the orange top not locked icon?

THNX

·
Registered
1 Posts
How do I convert from auto top to manual to let top down, or can I? 2004 VW Beetle. GOES up and down fine, just never finishes locking down and won't give me that chime that it's good to go, so alarm goes off every time I start driving

·
Registered
11,801 Posts
Have you scanned the car with a vw specific scan tool? Many times, sensors in the top will fail and cause problems. Most of the time; the trouble code will pinpoint the exact problem. I recommend investing in a vw scan tool; like the vag 401 on amazon or the android based Obdeleven for $60.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&hl=en-us&q=obdeleven&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_4Oq72JLQAhWIg1QKHQQJA04QvwUIFigA&biw=375&bih=559

The system is automatic from the factory; i haven't heard of anyone converting it to manual. Get the right vw scan tool, diagnose/repair it yourself or take it to a pro and have them fiz it for you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts