NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one on here have pictures from when they glued back their glass to the top? Or any one know a post that does? My glass is completely off on the bottom part and stretched at the top part..today it rained so bad and my poor babies got a little wet :(

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
152 Posts
My 03 beetle had the same problem when we got it. I used a clear silicone adhesive/caulk. I peeled it back enough to get it in deep enough to seal the window and as it began to set I held the outside lip in place till it set. Stopped the leak and bought me some more time till I have to get a new top. Once it all set, I ran a small bead all around the edge of the window to make sure it didn't happen again.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Common problem.

I used blue tape on the outside glass just where the original adhesive ended. This allowed my to easily run a razor knife carefully around the edge of the top, then peel the blue tape off for a clean edge after I sealed the window.

I used 3M Buytl Sealer in a caulking gun, it takes about 2 hours to cure really firmly, however, suggest not latching the top until the sealer has cured overnight.

I did part of my window, then it kept working its way loose in areas I had not reglued. So far about 1/3 of my rear window has been reglued.

This is what I used, not cheap, but seems to work well and cure fairly quickly.

3M 08609 Window-Weld Super Fast Urethane Black Cartridge - 10.5 fl oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive

Also for anyone that may be considering it, Robbins tops are the best replacement, about $800 from Tops Online - Convertible Tops, Headliners, Convertible Top Parts, and OEM Seat Covers

I also have the Zipper pliers and brackets for top replacement that I may rent out if people are interested.

Anyone interested in replacing their own top should check this out - VW New Beetle Convertible 2003-2010 - Convertible top outer shell DIY, how to remove and adjust - YouTube

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:( ive tried 3 times to glue the top part first..an its still not working it keeps coming right off! Like the top shrunk or something? Now the side of the top came undone..idk what to do now! I even wet the top to see if it will stretch a bit. .but nope :(

·
Registered
762 Posts
Also for anyone that may be considering it, Robbins tops are the best replacement, about $800 from Tops Online - Convertible Tops, Headliners, Convertible Top Parts, and OEM Seat Covers
I've had the displeasure of installing a non OEM top on a Beetle. I will NEVER do that again. It fit like crap and I was ashamed to have my name attached to it. It was an insurance job, the adjuster was hell bent on screwing things up every step of the way. It took 5 people to get the top to latch shut, I expected the top to rip or the rear window to shatter. I informed the owner to not open the top for 2 weeks, then hope for the best.

I know how to do tops, I've done a lot of them, factory trained. That aftermarket top was just garbage

I don't remember the specific vendor of that turd, but I think they were some west coast outfit. I'll install a NBC top, but only OEM shells.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I've had the displeasure of installing a non OEM top on a Beetle. I will NEVER do that again. It fit like crap and I was ashamed to have my name attached to it. It was an insurance job, the adjuster was hell bent on screwing things up every step of the way. It took 5 people to get the top to latch shut, I expected the top to rip or the rear window to shatter. I informed the owner to not open the top for 2 weeks, then hope for the best.

I know how to do tops, I've done a lot of them, factory trained. That aftermarket top was just garbage

I don't remember the specific vendor of that turd, but I think they were some west coast outfit. I'll install a NBC top, but only OEM shells.
Pencil,

Appreciate your feedback on this. TopsOnline is out of the West Coast but they offer both EasyOn and Robbins tops. From what I have read the Robbins tops are much better quality and even offer the OE fabric as well. EasyOn is a slightly cheaper top and the actually top fabric may be a key to the overall quality as well?? There is a $150 alone in the fabric difference.

I will check into the dealer top pricing and compare it to Robbins and also see if I can find more info on the Robbins top for the Beetle.

Also here is the info from TopsOnline regarding the rear window glass adhesive -

"Factory style 1 piece Top with Heated / Defroster Glass window. Made with original style metal brackets to connect to control arms on top frame, which guide glass when top is operated. The latest window bonding system technology (SGR Maxbond by EZ ON, Permalok by Robbins) offers a lifetime warranty for the window bond; the convertible top includes a 6-year warranty."

As for the OP and his window that is totally out, not sure if once the window is out the top can try to shrink?? It may be part of the issue?? These tops are tight and put a lot of pressure around the rear window. Do you know how long your glass had been out of the top and where do you live? I am also thinking the environment/temps may play a bit into top shrinking???

Make sure you are using the correct or better option on the window adhesive. 3M makes least 3 different urethane window adhesives. You should use the adhesive in the white tube, I believe it is part number 08609 3M Windo-Weld Super Fast Urethane at about $18-$22 per tube. If you are using this adhesive and you are having problems, then your top may have shrunk due to the window being out for too long?

I have found a number of other posts, non VW where rear windows have come out unglued and many have used Rhino Glue. Rhino Glue is available by mail order only. It is not like Gorilla Glue. Gorilla Glue is polyurethane based and is yellow. I think Rhino Glue is a "Krazy Glue/cyanoacrylate" based glue. Maybe a gel like Krazy Glue??

Not sure I would jump all over Rhino Glue just yet, suggest you search a bit. But if you are close to your last resort, it may be something to consider. I am not sure with these tops if the rear window comes all the way out you will have as much luck getting the window back in as compared to some other model cars??? This top has a lot of stretch in a lot of different directions and it makes the rear window a critical part of the fabric stretch from what I can tell??

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Update:

2 things.

1. My rear window is still pulling away from where I have not reglued it. Kind of a PITA, but better than the window all the way off. So it seems the moral of this story is to address the window seam area where it comes loose, DO NOT WAIT. My reglued joints are still holding in there for now. Cross my fingers.

2. As far as an OE top vs a Robbins top, well the OE top even at a discount appears to be over $1k more than the Robbins top, so more than double the price. So I will likely move on a Robbins top when I feel the time is right. I will hold off as LONG as I can.

OP, I hope you have luck with your rear window.

If you choose to try and replace your top yourself. I can rent you the rear brackets and zipper tool. You just need to sort out a stapler or a way to lock the zippers.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I live in Texas near houston, I dont know how long the window had been like that before I bought it but ive had the car since February an its been in the shop the whole time so I never thought to mess with it til I got my car back. A upholstery place said they would charge me $80 to fix top but I dont think the person knew what I was talking bout so more likely I will take it to them to see what they tell me then. Thank yall so much! ♥

·
Ali's Dad
229 Posts
I reglued my daughter's top last August, it has held up leak free since then - and that is through a Midwest late summer, a wet fall, a cold winter, a wetter spring and now 90 plus weather. I used 3m adhesive from Autozone.

Open the roof partway, place an 18 gallong rubbermaid bucket between the roof and the window and close till the bucket stays put. This takes the tension off the fabric.

Place rolled up towels (or a large blanket) between the window and the shelf - needs to put some pressure on the glass.

Glue sections of the roof at a time, use blue tape to hold the glued section down. Place a paver stone on the glued section (put a towel under it). Wait a few hours and move on to the next section.

Once you have done the whole window - place a bead of silicone around the edge of the window to seal it.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I really don't know why manufacturers use this method of window installation, quite frankly. I see them separate on a lot of other cars (Mustangs being common) as well as NBCs. The glass on my Boxster is in a frame and has been great, just had to readhere the canvas to the bottom bow of the frame (3M 06384 tape).

I second some of the low-buck roofs looking like crap. Did see one replacement on an NBC that looked very stunning, almost imperceptible that it had been replaced at all. Might've been a Robbins top, but I can't remember.

·
Registered
2 Posts
how to fix the unglued rear window in UR VW new beetle

I have a VW new bettle convertible 2003 it's been with me for 4 years an I love it, a couple of months ago I star to see how the rear window in the top, start to undo and came apart all way around, I went to several upholstery business to recive the same answer "you have to change the whole roof and with labor and materials your bill goes around $1500 +" I checked this forums and the only glue that I can get to fixed it was Rhino and honestly I tried it...but didn't work neither.
I want to let U know all the new beetle owners that there is a glue that can fix it because fixed it to me, I can enjoy again ride with my top down and realize how strong that glue really is because you can realize that it won't be a temporally fix.
I ordered it, looking for in google the name(3M windo-weld, super fast urethane 08609) and I payed U$35.00 and U$ 50.00 to the mechanic that did the job for me, but you can do it with your finger and get dirty a little bit, but I assure you it will fix it.
Just put your top down a little and hold it with something while you fix it spread the glue around the cloth and the window and stick it together, hold them for 10 min, and keep your top down in the same way for 24 h, do not put the top back again after u fix it, u got to wait 24 h....enjoy it

·
Registered
2 Posts
u have the same car i have and the same problem try this my friend a

:( ive tried 3 times to glue the top part first..an its still not working it keeps coming right off! Like the top shrunk or something? Now the side of the top came undone..idk what to do now! I even wet the top to see if it will stretch a bit. .but nope :(

I have a VW new bettle convertible 2003 it's been with me for 4 years an I love it, a couple of months ago I star to see how the rear window in the top, start to undo and came apart all way around, I went to several upholstery business to recive the same answer "you have to change the whole roof and with labor and materials your bill goes around $1500 +" I checked this forums and the only glue that I can get to fixed it was Rhino and honestly I tried it...but didn't work neither.
I want to let U know all the new beetle owners that there is a glue that can fix it because fixed it to me, I can enjoy again ride with my top down and realize how strong that glue really is because you can realize that it won't be a temporally fix.
I ordered it, looking for in google the name(3M windo-weld, super fast urethane 08609) and I payed U$35.00 and U$ 50.00 to the mechanic that did the job for me, but you can do it with your finger and get dirty a little bit, but I assure you it will fix it.
Just put your top down a little and hold it with something while you fix it spread the glue around the cloth and the window and stick it together, hold them for 10 min, and keep your top down in the same way for 24 h, do not put the top back again after u fix it, u got to wait 24 h....enjoy it

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
More rear window fun!!!

So this is my 3rd time gluing parts of the rear window. We will see if it holds up.

What I decided to do is glue the window as it started to separate, not atttempt to glue the window all at once or pull the top fully off the window. This helps alot with the alignment and the pull on the fabric.

Below are some pictures of my technique and tools.

The block of wood keeps the top slack, you cannot rely on the top struts to keep the top slack, it will relax in a few minutes.

The blue tape keeps the urethane off the glass and make an easy line for me to adjust the fabric up against. The tape in the corner keeps the pull on the corner fabric somewhat under control.

I use the roller to really get the urethane and top fabric tightly sealed, pushing out excess urethane.

I use the razor knife to cut carefully along the top edge toward the glass to make a nice line on the urethane that squeezes out.

Keep top propped overnight and the next day keep the top propped or open the top. I try not to fully close the top for 24 hours.

I keep cutting back the tube on the caulking tube and pull out the cured urethane and keep using the same tube.

Likely I may have at least 1 more span on the top to glue, then hopefully I will have the entire perimeter of the glass re-glued??

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts