NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bad dog no bisquit.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First as much as I love my bug.....

I was thinking about what a pain the rag top convertible beetle is between replacing motors and cables on the rag top system

Sitting back looking at it in the drive way thinking. Hey! Wouldn't it be great to have a removable hard top conversion to to smoothly cover and remove the flap doors and rag top.?

I was thinking it could be 2 parts a buckle down fiberglass top and an insert to cover the gap in the back where the old mechanics would have been

. THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS! and eliminating my nemisis all together...

Is anyone else thinking about this. Or already been done..?

·
Boogety Boogety
413 Posts
As you know, you'd have to remove the entire folding top mechanism to install a removable hardtop... kinda defeating the purpose of the convertible. Never mind the cost of designing/manufacturing/installing the thing. For that kind of money... :rolleyes:

Just buy a beater sedan and alternate between the two as your situations dictate... :eek:

·
~Feel the Sting~
2,441 Posts
First as much as I love my bug.....

I was thinking about what a pain the rag top convertible beetle is between replacing motors and cables on the rag top system

Sitting back looking at it in the drive way thinking. Hey! Wouldn't it be great to have a removable hard top conversion to to smoothly cover and remove the flap doors and rag top.?

I was thinking it could be 2 parts a buckle down fiberglass top and an insert to cover the gap in the back where the old mechanics would have been

. THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS! and eliminating my nemisis all together...

Is anyone else thinking about this. Or already been done..?
I for one would LOVE to see a hard top 'vert!

Anyone with fiberglass know-how could probably create a design for you simply enough. They could just create their form on TOP of a regular non-vert beetle, and work from that pattern.

Also, the gap in the back... where the mechanics are? Seems like a great place to install audio equipment .. amps .. subs.. etc =)

·
Bug Less
3,754 Posts
I for one would LOVE to see a hard top 'vert!

Anyone with fiberglass know-how could probably create a design for you simply enough. They could just create their form on TOP of a regular non-vert beetle, and work from that pattern.
One small problem is the vert top shape is a little different from a hard top

Probably would be easier to find a wrecked NBC to use as a prop to creat a top.

·
Ret.
839 Posts
In the garage I would guess, This mod would basicly make it an open roadster, so dont get caught out in the rain :D
That's what I'm thinking...as unsettling as it is to have it start raining with your top down, imagine rain starting to come down and no top! LOL...

·
Bad dog no bisquit.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am always been a fan of hard top verts.. I love the idea and the utilitarianism. It is secure and less fragile.

I am not a fan temperamental motors, winders and moving automation in Volkswagens.I hate feeling like I am rolling a dice every time I go to put up the top

Mazda Miatas has the option.

With Volkswagen convertibles, I could use the beetle in color climates and I could park in the city or in parking lots without worry about people cutting, putting cigarettes out on it and birds dropping poo bombs.
I could see them painted with different patterns or wraps easily..
I could see Lund or some other fiberglass cap manufacturer would be able to pull this off I think.

·
Bug Less
3,754 Posts
Ya know. Its too bad Vw never made the top fold down into the car like most verts do , then you could use the hard top idea, and if you were out in the rain just put the cloth top up. But then the NBC wouldnt have the retro flare like the original Beetle Verts.

·
Bad dog no bisquit.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya know. Its too bad Vw never made the top fold down into the car like most verts do , then you could use the hard top idea, and if you were out in the rain just put the cloth top up. But then the NBC wouldnt have the retro flare like the original Beetle Verts.
I think it would look more like a roadster without the top on it

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
the NBC wouldnt have the retro flare like the original Beetle Verts.

NBC, listen, i'm counting, and you only have the minimum 15 pieces of flair on.
Look at Original Beetle vert over there, he's got on 37 pieces of flair, and a terrific smile.
The flair is all about expressing yourself, yo do want to express yourself, don't you?

I think it would look more like a roadster without the top on it
It would be kinda cool if you could make it look sorta like the ragster concept. Which is a mesh of b-pillar less vert and a hardtop with a rag top built in.

·
Bug Less
3,754 Posts
NBC, listen, i'm counting, and you only have the minimum 12 pieces of flair on.
Look at Original Beetle vert over there, he's got on 37 pieces of flair, and a terrific smile.
The flair is all about expressing yourself, yo do want to express yourself, don't you?

It would be kinda cool if you could make it look sorta like the ragster concept. Which is a mesh of b-pillar less vert and a hardtop with a rag top built in.

:lol: :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts