NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
convertible care

I am new to this site, so please bear with me.
I just (ooooooooooh) bought a 2006 convertible, my dream car since I was 18, not saying how many decades ago that was... but I am concerned with the canvas top and the snow. Is there anything I should be doing to help preserve it, or is it care free (I'm always leary of those things...)
My last bug was a '68 that I drove into the ground, but it wasn't a rag top.
thanks in advance for you input.
jdl

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I'm not sure that snow itself is a problem. I wouldn't scrape the top with anything metal or plastic. I don't use stiff plastic bristles to wash the top.

I also know that if you use spray wands (with soap, especially) on these particular tops, the water repellant can be stripped out and cause seepage and waterlogging of the padding.

If your top becomes old and worn, you can always take it to a shop that handles convertibles for your local VW dealership and have them treat it for water repellancy.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
I use a lambswool 'glove' that VW sent me in the mail, works great, then dry with it with a cotton towel. I also spray if once a year with 3M protectant..congrats on the 'vert!

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Raggtopp is the greatest stuff on earth ;) And it's the only stuff recommended by the folks that actually make the tops (Hartz).

You can typically only find it online... but it comes in a nice bundle that includes the cleaner and the protectorant. Make sure you buy the one for canvas tops. Then, every six months or so, clean the top with the cleaner, and spray on the protectorant according to the directions. Take care of it like this, and your top should last a good long time. With a proper application of the protectorant, water will bead on the canvas as if it were waxed paint.

Between Raggtopp'ings, keep your car away from automatic car washes (even brushless), and try not to let your standard car soap hit your top. Brush any loose debris (leaves, pine needles, bugs) off whenever you see it, and scrub out any bird poop or tree sap as soon as possible using a soft cloth or soft brush.

Other than that, the top should be just as impervious as a hard top, in actuality (flying sharp objects notwithstanding). It will weather snow just fine. Ice shouldn't cause too much problem, as long as you don't try to scrape it off with anything. And as soon as the ice and/or snow melts off the surface you probably want to hose it down to dislodge any salts or grime that they left behind.

I bought a NBC-specific car cover off eBay, and it's all I use to protect Kermit year-round. And I'll generally leave it off during snowy or icey weather so that I don't have a problem with it sticking to the top or car (which can be a real mess... made that mistake with my Golf once).

So... yeah... the top can require a little extra effort to protect. But it's definitely not as "delicate" as a lot of people would think.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Congrats

jdl said:
I just (ooooooooooh) bought a 2006 convertible, my dream car since I was 18, not saying how many decades ago that was... but I am concerned with the canvas top and the snow. Is there anything I should be doing to help preserve it, or is it care free (I'm always leary of those things...)
jdl
I too bought a Convertible last year.....(MY DREAM CAR AS WELL) Lots of stuff for you to browse on this site in the NBC Forum..........

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Billsbug said:
Ya gotta link to that e-Bay cover? :)
Hmmm... there were a ton of 'em on eBay when I was looking 2 years ago. Now I don't see a one.

I'll dig up the invoice and see if I don't have any email address.

It's a Block-It 350F... custom fit to the NBC, with no antenna pouch. Very nice. Even fits when the top is down (looks pretty silly, but it fits ;) )

·
Premium Member
536 Posts

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
jdl said:
jdl
Try www.autogeek.net. I get a ton of stuff from them. They have a great website and it lists all the cars that have convertible tops and which cleaner to use on each one.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Hoovering the top helps

soft top bug was my dream car too. couldn't afford one as a college kid, but figured...someday.

i noticed after 8 months of driving, the water on my top didn't bead anymore. some construction projects near my place of employment elevated dust levels which i'm sure didn't help.

anyhoo, before i put the bug to sleep for the winter, i hoovered the top with my shop vac. wow what a difference. it looks gnu and the water beads again.

so if'n ya never have hoovered the top, give it a try.

congrats on the aught six. you won't have to hoover yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts