NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help. My significant other took my car for a ride the other day and returned with the top down. Normally wouldn't be a problem, but when I put the top up, the "press" button on the handle was not locked in place (someone forgot to lock it when he put the top down) and it wouldn't go back in place after I put the top up. I tried to lock it in place, but no luck. Any ideas????

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Open the top slightly, so you have about 6-10" before the top reaches the windshield and try to get operate the top latch handle and see if you can get it back to the "closed" position, then close the top the rest of the way and then try to release and relatch the top.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
I don't have a convertible , but I am trying to picture your problem and hunt for an answer.

From what I have seen on how the top mechanism works are you saying you cannot get the press button to lock or the top latch to lock?

Does the top latch but you are not able to lock the latch handle in place?

I have looked in the manual and am trying to figure out how the press button functions

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VDubYah...it locks, but the handle is hanging down. Not in the locked position it should be in. If that makes any sense. I looked at the manual you linked but I am not a technical person so it didn't make much sense to me...sorry.

I took a picture but am unsure are to how to post it here...see, not technical! LOL.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
I cant help with your vert top, but I can help ya post pics.
When you are posting, if you want to add pics, before you hit submit reply button, look down lower on your screen and you will see a manage attachments button, hit that and a window will pop asking to browse photos, find the photo, then hit the upload button. It will take a few seconds to load, but when done you will see a attachment, then hit post. Walaa....pics to help us solve your problems. A photo is worth a thousand words...or something like that.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Yes, The pictures help alot. I will see what i can find out.

So to make sure I have this right, the press button works and the lock handle unlocks the top but the handle won't stay locked "up" in its spot.

·
1,255 Posts
Technical Bulletin for Latch Not Retruning

See if this helps... This is the best quality I can get, hope you can read it.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
VDubYah...yes, that is correct.

Duffy...I think that may do the trick. Although, I am terrified of trying to take anything apart for fear of not being able to put it back together again - OR WORSE - have a screw or two left over!!!! :eek: I guess I will find out this weekend.

Thanks y'all for all of your input! :)

·
Ali's Dad
229 Posts
Daisygrl - did the fix work? My daughters 03 NBC is having a similar issue. The Press button doesn't do anything, and the handle won't return to the recess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts