VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just bought an '04 convertible with some issues both mechanically and cosmetically and trying to figure out what is specific to the convertible. I'm not talking about things like the drivetrain or the obvious convertible parts but the less obvious things. For instance I need either parts to repair or completely replace my inner door panels, I read somewhere that they are different between the convertible and coupe? I know the window regulators are different but can't figure out why the door panels would be different? Things like this could significantly reduce my opportunites for replacement parts.

As far as issues with the car, air bag light is on, misfire on cylinder #2 and random misfire codes, trunk won't open with either remote or door switch (no noises like something is trying to work), passenger window doesn't work (sounds like it is trying to, VCDS lite said something about a wiring issue or something), probably more as I have just gotten the car and haven't dug too deep.

Thanks for any and all responses!

· Registered
19,260 Posts
There are differences between the sedan and cabriolet ; the door panels are of a revised design.

You can compare vw part numbers from vw parts site; a quick way to note if the parts are the same.

www.parts.vw.com

For used parts; here is a junkyard parts search engine.

www.car-parts.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
19,260 Posts
To start troubleshooting your various problems; post a autoscan from vcds.

After that we can start working down the list of problems and work through them.

· Registered
19,260 Posts

· Registered
19,260 Posts
02460 - Position Sensor for Left Linkage Flap Position Sensor (G442)
009 - Open or Short to Ground

02470 - Switch for Window Up (E44S)
008 - Implausible Signal

01331 - Door Control Module; Driver Side (1386)

004 - No Signal Communication - Intermittent

· Registered
19,260 Posts
Well, you have allot of things going on; what do you want to focus on first, maybe get the car running right and then, the windows, top issues?

· Registered
19,260 Posts
Ok, how is the car currently running, is it misfiring (?) ; has any work been done to it or new parts installed?

For the misfiring, you can hook up vcds and check the misfire counter.

· Registered
19,260 Posts
16686/P0302/000770 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected

Possible Causes
Ignition system
Fuel injectors
Fuel pressure
Running out of fuel
EVAP canister purge valve
Evaporative emission system
Low compression
Base engine problems
Controle Module damaged

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow that's a lot of stuff! I haven't really driven the car yet except on/off the trailer. It idles real smooth. The girl I got the car from had the timing belt and water pump replaced about 6 months ago, the misfire came up just recently. I'll check out that video you attached when I get home from work. I have a registered version of VCDS-lite, would that have the misfire counter on it. How do you access it? Again, thanks for your help.

· Registered
19,260 Posts
You might check the spark plugs, wires, injectors and these can be swapped, to a different cylinder location, to see if the misfire, changes to the new location.

Compression and fuel pressure; shouldn’t be ignored if other issues test fine.

Other issues that are common; is coil packs that cracks, which can be tested by spraying with water.

Another issue can be a coil pack ground wire update; VW had a tech bulletin on it:

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I found at least one of the gremlins so far. Let her idle for a good while, running smooth. Sprayed the coil pack with water, started stuttering. So I guess I at least have a starting point.

· Registered
19,260 Posts
If you end up needing a replacement; stick with a oem high quality coil, ELDOR seems to be the supplier to VW, for their genuine vw dealer parts and Bosch would be another quality brand.

I’m seeing this part number but you might confirm the correct coil pack by looking at your old one and search by vin #.

Font Electronic device Musical instrument accessory Rectangle Cable

06A905097

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I drove the car yesterday to get the VIN inspection, it ran great. Brakes were making some noise so I ordered new pads along with the coil. I did some looking around in the engine compartment last night and cringed when I saw they had changed out the coolant for the “green stuff”. I’m assuming I should probably flush out the coolant system and refill with the proper coolant?
Also found out the passenger window does indeed work, just not off the switch on the driver’s side. Trunk actuator is completely dead. Will address little things like that after I get it running and driving properly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts