VW Beetle Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Hey everyone, just bought an '04 convertible with some issues both mechanically and cosmetically and trying to figure out what is specific to the convertible. I'm not talking about things like the drivetrain or the obvious convertible parts but the less obvious things. For instance I need either parts to repair or completely replace my inner door panels, I read somewhere that they are different between the convertible and coupe? I know the window regulators are different but can't figure out why the door panels would be different? Things like this could significantly reduce my opportunites for replacement parts.

As far as issues with the car, air bag light is on, misfire on cylinder #2 and random misfire codes, trunk won't open with either remote or door switch (no noises like something is trying to work), passenger window doesn't work (sounds like it is trying to, VCDS lite said something about a wiring issue or something), probably more as I have just gotten the car and haven't dug too deep.

Thanks for any and all responses!
Ok ... my wife inherited a 2005 Beetle convertible 1.8T .... Tip #1 - Go to vwparts.com (or any factory site) and when you look up the part, there is a section that says "What else does it fit" ... there you will learn that the power window motor has to come out of a VW Hatchback or a convertible. the first issue was to get the top to go up and down ... brought it to the dealership I used to work at that they couldn't' figure out the problem... the winow module is built into the power window motor .... if you buy parts at the dealership or dorman .... you'll wonder why you didn't go our and buy a new car. Junk Yards and Pull a parts are where you go ... when I put in the used PW motor in everything worked.

Door panels, & switches ... find a couple of pull a parts or junk yards and track their sites .. the minute the cars come in your going to grab your parts for pennies ... good luck ......as for the trunk you have a red plastic strap when you in a jam otherwise it sounds like a new switch (junk yard), when you open the truck - has a plastic cover with metal tab on either side .. use a paint sraper .. slide under and lift .... undernearth you will see the German way of spending a half a million dollars on a lock and unlock design like no other in the world you might just need to connect a couple of rods to fix the problem or take the set up and bring them home ... open you first and take a pic so you can compare

goog luck

· Registered
70 Posts
Ok ... my wife inherited a 2005 Beetle convertible 1.8T .... Tip #1 - Go to vwparts.com (or any factory site) and when you look up the part, there is a section that says "What else does it fit" ... there you will learn that the power window motor has to come out of a VW Hatchback or a convertible. the first issue was to get the top to go up and down ... brought it to the dealership I used to work at that they couldn't' figure out the problem... the winow module is built into the power window motor .... if you buy parts at the dealership or dorman .... you'll wonder why you didn't go our and buy a new car. Junk Yards and Pull a parts are where you go ... when I put in the used PW motor in everything worked.

Door panels, & switches ... find a couple of pull a parts or junk yards and track their sites .. the minute the cars come in your going to grab your parts for pennies ... good luck ......as for the trunk you have a red plastic strap when you in a jam otherwise it sounds like a new switch (junk yard), when you open the truck - has a plastic cover with metal tab on either side .. use a paint sraper .. slide under and lift .... undernearth you will see the German way of spending a half a million dollars on a lock and unlock design like no other in the world you might just need to connect a couple of rods to fix the problem or take the set up and bring them home ... open you first and take a pic so you can compare

goog luck
Is there a way to get the plastic panel off of the inside of the trunk lid? I removed screws I could find and the handle, but it seemed to still anchored in the center. I wanted to change the emblem but could not get the panel off. I have a Bentley manual, but that is worthless in 90% of the items I have needed it for.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts