VW Beetle Forum banner

Convertible top acting weird!

1K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  billymade 
#1 ·
So I picked up a bug as a project car. I'm having fun with fixing it up. The top worked great until I started working on the windows. I have had to replace a 3 regulators and 1 window, GOOD TIMES! It seemed logical to do this with the top in the down position. While I was fixing the window I found the manual release for the top, thought this is something good to know! I wanted to see if it worked, so I pulled it. it came unclipped and I could not reattached it. Now the top wont go up!!!
I figured i was in a hole, I may as well dig it deeper. So I tried to release the other side, it was jammed pretty good, but got it released with the help of a few taps from an hammer. Roof still would go up.. manually raised and locked it in place. started the bug, unlocked and tried to get it to lower. I heard the motor kick in, but nothing. Then I remembered that I left the hydridic stop **** open! tightened it back up and tried switch, nothing up nor down. manually lowered the roof, but cant get it to lock in to the clamps? Ideas, thoughts, aside from "you idiot!"

#6 · (Edited)
Scan tool? I have a full legit version of vcds by ross tech; a older version, the hex can usb cable with unlimited vin, since 2007. VCDS, is a solid product; worth every penny!

OBDelevn, is another popular option; then many knockoff Chinese "VAG" type scan tools with poor or no support, you get what you pay for! Ross Tech really shines with legit usa based support; call/phone in support, forums,code wiki info, wide vw/audi pro tech usage all over the world, very mature product cycle, free constant software updates,, etc. Ross Tech is the real deal; all others pale in comparison; for a factory level VAG scan tool, at a affordable price. It isn't perfect but what it can do;! t does it well.

#7 ·
Scan tool? I have a full legit version of vcds by ross tech; a older version, the hex can usb cable with unlimited vin, since 2007. VCDS, is a solid product; worth every penny!

OBDelevn, is another popular option; then many knockoff Chinese "VAG" type scan tools with poor or no support, you get what you pay for! Ross Tech really shines with legit usa based support; call/phone in support, forums,code wiki info, wide vw/audi pro tech usage all over the world, very mature product cycle, free constant software updates,, etc. Ross Tech is the real deal; all others pale in comparison; for a factory level VAG scan tool, at a affordable price. It isn't perfect but what it can do;! t does it well.
Great info.. Thnx! I'll give the lite a try this weekend and have the CC ready to go! Not a huge issue going into the winter in the Midwest, but need it working for spring. daughter is about 5 foot nothing and 100lbs soaked, so using the roof manually would lay a beat down on her! :)

#10 ·
Yes.. I have about 8 issues with codes for the roof! Sensors etc.. I'll have to list them later Think its gonna be a couple week ordering parts, then a weekend, case of beer, and decent Wx to install all them. :) Or wait till spring and find a donor top with everything included! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.