NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 conv. -- top is down and will not go back up. Side panels lift, but nothing else. Drivers side window, lock and mirror no longer function either. I've checked the fuses - any other advice would be appreciated.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
There is a procedure for an emergency release to the hydraulic system to get the top up if you can't secure the car with the roof down.

I'd probably see if anyone local to you can hook it up to a VAG-Com to see if it's throwing any codes in the roof modules.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My Vert has done that twice to me and its and '03....I kinda just let it do its thing. Actually the one time it was about to pour and I left my pt job and flew to my friends house to park in her garage and a block from her house the top went up. I mean you can try the Vag-Com like she said, or the emergency release option but once you close it yourself that way, you have to take the car to the dealer to get fixed. How long has it been acting up????

·
Boogety Boogety
413 Posts
Try this:

Turn engine on. While it's running:

Use your master swith to roll all four windows down at once. :confused:

Use your master switch to roll all four windows up. :confused:

Use your master switch to roll all four windows down. :confused:

Turn off engine. :confused:

Restart car and operate your newly-reset, rebooted top. :D

If it doesn't work then... you're in trouble! see your dealer... :rolleyes:

But usually, the above procedure gets you bacvk on track with your top... :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info...

Took it to the dealer on Sat. They put the top up and said I need to bring it back on Monday and leave it. They said that some of the fuses were not getting power, looks like a short somewhere in system. In the meantime, now no windows, locks or mirrors work. I appreciated ya'll getting back to me with suggestions.
Thanks --
Mike

·
Registered
74 Posts
wow, I'll have to remember that when my top is being finicky, haha, but usually its finicky when its getting ready to pour, lol....but thats a good tip:rolleyes:

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'm gonna guess...

Took it to the dealer on Sat. They put the top up and said I need to bring it back on Monday and leave it. They said that some of the fuses were not getting power, looks like a short somewhere in system. In the meantime, now no windows, locks or mirrors work. I appreciated ya'll getting back to me with suggestions.
Thanks --
Mike

I suppose you already had it fixed, but as you indicated the driver's side door lock wouldn't work I'm betting it was the lock mechanism that had to be replaced and was causing all of the issues (locks, windows, and top are all connected which is why the "all windows up, all windows down" trick usually works). That is unless the door lock is shot :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found the problem...

Took it in and the mechanic said the module located in the drivers side door was fried. He replaced that and everything is working fine.
Thanks for all the advice -
Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Top Wont Go Up!

After leaving the ignition on and the radio running, my battery went dead. After jump starting the top would not go up. I took the advice above, using the master switch to put all windows up, then all windows back down, turned ignition off, the, thankfully, the top went back up. That little bit of advice save me some big bucks had I taken this back to the VW Dealership - The same dealership that charged me $90 to diagnose that my fuel cap was loose causing my "check engine" light was on!

·
Dana
1 Posts
I just tried the window trick, hoping that it would work for me. No such luck. I have an 06 Salsa Red, black top. I even had it towed in once last year because it wouldn't go up. They told me it went up just fine for them. BLAH! Now the warranty is expired, and even though I had it taken in once with this problem BEFORE it expired, I doubt that it will be any help to me. GRRRRR. I guess I will be driving mine to work with the top down and washing the hair AFTER I get to work!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try this:

Turn engine on. While it's running:

Use your master swith to roll all four windows down at once. :confused:

Use your master switch to roll all four windows up. :confused:

Use your master switch to roll all four windows down. :confused:

Turn off engine. :confused:

Restart car and operate your newly-reset, rebooted top. :D

If it doesn't work then... you're in trouble! see your dealer... :rolleyes:

But usually, the above procedure gets you bacvk on track with your top... :D
Boogety Boogety - I can't thank you enough for this post, almost two years later. Our 2004 NBC lid has been stuck down for almost a week after the battery discharged. I had gone through everything I knew how to do and we were about to take it to the dealer. This post saved us serious $$$. Thanks again!

·
Registered
961 Posts
I just tried the window trick, hoping that it would work for me. No such luck. I have an 06 Salsa Red, black top. I even had it towed in once last year because it wouldn't go up. They told me it went up just fine for them. BLAH! Now the warranty is expired, and even though I had it taken in once with this problem BEFORE it expired, I doubt that it will be any help to me. GRRRRR. I guess I will be driving mine to work with the top down and washing the hair AFTER I get to work!
Did you ever get your issue resolved? Are any parts of the top working?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, today I had to leave home by cab as I could not get the top go up after having the battery replaced yesterday (with the roof down). I'll go home soon and check if the above mentioned trick works for me... I really hope so. It would have been a wonderful cabrio weather day today, but I had my 4 months old baby girl with me and you don't do cabrio with such a little baby - do you? :D

I was searching the forum, but could not find how to put up the roof manually in case you run into issues like mine. Please let me know. :)

Thanks,
Silvia

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, today I had to leave home by cab as I could not get the top go up after having the battery replaced yesterday (with the roof down). I'll go home soon and check if the above mentioned trick works for me... I really hope so. It would have been a wonderful cabrio weather day today, but I had my 4 months old baby girl with me and you don't do cabrio with such a little baby - do you? :D

I was searching the forum, but could not find how to put up the roof manually in case you run into issues like mine. Please let me know. :)

Thanks,
Silvia
It worked indeed! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts