NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building(yeh-I'm the body guy) an 03 1.8T convt and it has light front damage that is an easy fix.My problem is with the hinge covers that trim out the topframe at the top of the quarter panel trim .The left main hinge cover(there are 2 pcs.) was in the trunk when I got the car.It was not a result of collision damage that put it there.I have found a pinched cable, etc., but the plastic arms that articulate the cover up and down are broken as is the arm on the hinge cover servo motor.I've learned the the 05 models have changed and eliminated these ridiculously complicated parts-can you spell over engineered!I dont have easy access to view an 05 convt to see if a retrofit is possible and my partsman-via telephone-has no clue nor does the dealer tech I talked to as they have made no repairs on an 05 yet.These hinge covers list out @ $326 ea. and you dont get it all, plus there are next to none out there for salvage in the whole USA.Anyone have a clue as to what works besides leave them off the car? I want to know if the body is the exact same at that location so I can consider a retro fit from an 05 parts list...thanks

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Well mainly they took out the mechanicals and put in black trim to line the area instead... looks pretty decent w/o the flaps. :)

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Yeah... there really is no "retrofit". They simply took out the guts (mainly, the pieces you're looking at for $326, etc, and stuck a plastic trim piece in their place. Should be easy enough. Being a body guy, you'd probably have no trouble fashioning your own trim pieces, actually.

I like the look of the flaps better, myself... but, heck, if it came down to having to replace them and staring at a $1000 price tag to do it... I'd probably forego it and go for the trim pieces.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts