VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!
I am new here, so nice to meet you all.

My VWCB is 2004 w/ 65000 miles on it. I"ve always taken it to a dealer for service. This time I took it to a VW/Audi service place. It needed a lot of work.

New battery
Transmission work
Axel Boots
and the convertible top side flap had broken off

They fixed everything and then called and said the convertible top won't go down w/ the button and I need a new hydraulic pump. It worked when I brought it in! I am beside myself as the repair will be in the neighborhood of $2000!

I found this forum while searching the topic and found the reset instructions. Tried that, didn't work. I looked in the trunk for hydraulic pump fluid leaking. Found none.

Before I go ballistic on this shop, can anyone shed some light on this situation?

I am so grateful I found this group! I see other topics I will read about now, such as the rag top coming off the rear window on the outside. urgh! Sadly I'm thinking it might be time to sell the little bugger but I do love it!

Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Have they ruled out the electrical system?

New Beetle Convertible Basic Top Operation - YouTube

Unfortunately, electrical vs. hydraulic may not make much difference to your repair bill$.

Is the top up currently? If so, you may wish to obtain other opinions (independent VW shop) before committing to $2,000.

Dealers make a fortune on repairs, hence the large population of independents.

If the top isn't up, can you drive it up with the manual over ride system as detailed in the Owner's Manual?

·
Registered
762 Posts
The hydraulic pumps on NBCs rarely fail. I've seen more damaged due to people opening up the petcock valve too far (force it beyond the stopping point) than anything else.

So.. .a new battery was installed... did they relearn the windows? If not, the top won't work.

Start the engine, let idle. Roll the windows all the way up. Pull up on each power window switch for 3 seconds, 3 times in a row, then see if the power top works.

Flap work done... did they plug it back up? If not, no top operation (and a fault code in the Roof Electronics).

I have go now, my planet needs me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
second opinions

I took it to an auto upholstery shop who said they could have a look. When i got there they said they don't do that work. WTF?

So I caved and took it to my local VW dealer service center. They looked at it for free. Said there were pinched wires on the side where the flap work was done. They also found an unplugged tail light.

The original shop is now offering to look at it and fix it since I told them I went to Sonnen and have it in writing what they found.

I'm still beyond aggravated since I have to deal with all this at all. (Did I mention I'm in the middle of moving for the third time in two years?)

I'll keep you posted on the outcome of all this. I appreciate everyones replies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rest of the story

I took the car back today... lo and behold! they found no problems and the top was fixed! tail light mysteriously plugged back in as well. PLUS they gave me a free car wash and detailing coupon for a nearby place. WOW! I love when things mysteriously resolve themselves.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts