NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 vw beetle convertible. Among a list of problems I now have a problem with my inside headliner. My
wife came home the other day and said she was putting the top up and heard a ripping sound. I watched as she tried to put it up and on the right side there was a rod that had broken and had caught on the inside headline. On the left side there was some sort of cylinder that had broken and a set of small ropes had broken off of it. I did have a new convertible top installed a couple of years ago but think this is a new problem. I cannot seem to find any information on this inside headliner and am tired of spending any more money on this car. Any help or information would be appreciated. Thank you Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to somehow repair or fix it myself but do not want to dump anymore money in this car.

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
Seeing how you just had the top replaced relatively recently; i would think of contacting that shop, that did the install and discuss things with them. Seeing how they are familiar with how the top works, they could inspect the top damage; tell you what needs repaired/replaced, then you could decide what to do next (diy or at that point, knowing the repair cost involved, have them fix it). I think this would end up being the best way; to have the problem diagnosed, have full documentation of the parts, labor costs involved and then, based upon the full repair evaluation, decide the best route to go, to complete the repairs successfully and in the most cost effective manner possible.

Was there a warranty on the top or installation?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was about 2 years ago and I tried to reach out to them but I think they have closed because of COVID. Right now to get the top up I used a tie strap and loosely tied the broken piece to the roof frame. I have replaced 3 electric window regulators, oil leak at vacuum pump and on and on. I would get rid of the car but my wife loves it. Is there any way to remove the headliner part or leave it like it is. Thanks for the help. Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts