VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my convertible top has been rattling, so, after asking/searching on this forum, I ordered a pair of the rubber bushings that fit onto the little metal spikes that are next to each of the hooks that attach the top to the windshield.

they worked... for about 2 days. then the rattling was back. I checked the bushings, and they had gotten squished down to about half their height. I took them off, pushed them back into shape and put them back on, and that fixed things for about another day. then the rattling was back.

my fix: I went to the local hardware store and found some rubber washers in the plumbing section. (the diameter of the hole of the washer was a bit too small, but a power drill took care of that quickly enough.) I put two washers behind each of the bushings, adding about a 1/4 inch of effective length to the bushing. the top is a very tight fit now (have to turn the handle extra hard to get it to latch), but the rattle is gone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Top needs these adjustments....

There was not a squeaking problem with ours, but more of clunking or rattling when going over bumps, even the slightest. I got in there and made the real fix......under the cover that has the hooks that latch down the top there is an adjustment for both sides. The large plastic cover pops off, and there are two arms with ball fitting with screw-in or out adjustments (first remove the wire spring clips, then snap the bracket off the ball). The issue is not that the top is not pulled down enough, it is. Watch the top as the top handle is operated to latch and un-latch the top. It is being pulled down. I found the problem is the hooks are not being pushed quite enough to prevent side to side movement (the pin fits into the very right angle of the hook). Make a slight adjustment so the the inside side of the hook is also snug against the pin, not just the horizontal surface. I made a one revolution on both sides (lengthening, not shortening the arm). Keep in mind slight, then try the operation, including trying to move the hook side to side after the adjustment (but try before any adjustments to see the play).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts