VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 convertible, GLS TURBO, with the semi-automatic top. 38,000 miles.

I have been noticing a squeak sound when going over bumps and it seems to be coming from where the top latches to the windshield frame. If I go to put the top down/release the latch and then reattach it the sound stops only to return a few hours later.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so have any suggestions prior to taking it back to the dealer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
fixed

I guess no one else had this issue except me! :)

I was able to grease the latches and that solved the problem!

·
Super Moderator
14,871 Posts
Yay! Now, where are the pics of your vert? :D

·
100% Texan 100% NBC Lover
135 Posts
I have the same, really does not bother me too much. I will go with the silicon spray and see if that helps. You just have to accept that you will hear some noises from you roof.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
squeak

I have a 2005 convertible, GLS TURBO, with the semi-automatic top. 38,000 miles.

I have been noticing a squeak sound when going over bumps and it seems to be coming from where the top latches to the windshield frame. If I go to put the top down/release the latch and then reattach it the sound stops only to return a few hours later.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so have any suggestions prior to taking it back to the dealer?

Thanks!

there are rubber stoppers the dealers put on the latch pegs. stops the squeak

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your comments and tips.

I used some WD-40. Sprayed it on a rag and whiped it on the latches and the parts of the top where the windows touch it.

I have zero top noise now for the past week or so. I am sure it will come back, but it was a quick and easy 5 minute fix.

My top is so quiet now it seems like a hardtop. BUT THANK GOD IT's NOT I love going topless! :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
There was not a squeaking problem with ours, but more of clunking or rattling when going over bumps, even the slightest. I got in there and made the real fix......under the cover that has the hooks that latch down the top there is an adjustment for both sides. The large plastic cover pops off, and there are two arms with ball fitting with screw-in or out adjustments (first remove the wire spring clips, then snap the bracket off the ball). The issue is not that the top is not pulled down enough, it is. Watch the top as the top handle is operated to latch and un-latch the top. It is being pulled down. I found the problem is the hooks are not being pushed quite enough to prevent side to side movement (the pin fits into the very right angle of the hook). Make a slight adjustment so the the inside side of the hook is also snug against the pin, not just the horizontal surface. I made a one revolution on both sides (lengthening, not shortening the arm). Keep in mind slight, then try the operation, including trying to move the hook side to side after the adjustment (but try before any adjustments to see the play).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok folks. I really don't know how to use these forums so please forgive me in advance if I mess up. I need some info....'Got this 03 VW vert back in August & have been doing some repairs, air bag light on, door latch running battery down etc. I have ordered a new top 'cause the top & back glass have come apart. The latch on the top would not stay up in its place & today there was a large metal spring popped off & now the top won't latch. Do I need a whole new latch or can this one be fixed? Will a latch come with the top I've ordered,etc.Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ziffy:

You may want to start a new thread for this issue. People may not see your post here.

Sounds like you are having lots of problems with your top (sorry about that). I know that my rear window over time starts to come away from the top. There are little metal clips under the fabric that you can reattach to the window. It only takes a second to kinda push them back into place.

But, it sounds like you have other troubles too. I would try to see if you can get these items fixed before going the expensive route of a new top!

Best of luck... :eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Squeaky - 2004 GLS Tubor NB Convertible

Hi all
I used the silicon spray but still have the squeak. Does anyone suggest where exactly to put the spray. Is the squeak coming from the window connections? Just curious...

Thanks,
T:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Top / Glass delamination

Ziffy
I just bought a used 05 vert with the delamination between the outside top and glass. After researching I used Rhino glue and re-glued it. I parked the car in the garage, raised the top halfway, propped up the back window with boxes and re-glued it. The bottom and sides look factory, the top however leaves something to be desired but it holds and is water tight. If I had it over to do again, I would re-glue the top part first, the the bottom, then work my way down the sides. That way I would ensure that I had enough space for the top corners not to bunch. Hope this helps.

Mikey

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.