NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help...my convertible top is starting to fray in one spot just near the back passenger side window, it's looks like it's right where it almost meets the window and where those metal strips inside the top help fold it down (sorry don't know terminology lol). There is a small tear forming there. I can't afford to replace the whole top at this time and was wondering if there is something I can put on it so it will not tear or fray anymore. I use my top a lot in the summer and am afraid if I keep putting it up and down it's going to get worse.

Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated!:)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I would check around with trim, interior and top shops to see if they have any suggestions. You want something that will hold up and not look too bad. It may be a combination of repair from the underside and the top??

I used something on the edge of my top were the window damaged the top when it was not dropping correctly, however, you cannot see the repair unless you know what to look for because it is on a bend over the drivers door and I just glued the fabric so it would stop fraying.

The question is there something on the inside causing the top to wear or is the problem on the outside.

My top is 10 years old, spent most of its time outside and it is still very serviceable except for the rear window just recently coming unglued.

The top for these cars is about $800 and many shops want about $1500 to replace the top, parts and labor.

Convertible Tops, Headliners, Convertible Top Parts, and OEM Seat Covers - if you replace your top, Robbins tops are likely the best option. You could save a few bucks on the material if you did not go with the original style fabric.

VW New Beetle Convertible 2003-2010 - Convertible top outer shell DIY, how to remove and adjust - YouTube

I have the tools here for the top replacement, the rear brackets and pliers, so I may be replacing my top in the next year or so.

Rear window has been coming unglued, not back for 10 year old top, but it starts in one corner and then keeps coming unglued in other areas, so it is just a matter of time.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Check out Key Auto Top in Charlotte, NC. Way cheaper and it's good quality.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts