NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
circuit breaker!

The top is protected by a circuit breaker. It is an auto reset breaker. Takes 5 min to reset.
It can be raised manually if your in this situation.

What is the indicator light to the right of the clock doing?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
It didnt work when i bought it. And im not sure where to start looking?:confused:
What's the indicator light to the right of the clock showing when you attempt it?

·
Boogety Boogety
413 Posts
You bought it and it wasn't working?!? :rolleyes:

OK, try this:

Go out to your car and get in and close the door. Start the car. Make sure all the windows are down. Turn off the car. :confused:

Start the car again. Use the master switch for the windows, the one that rolls them up/down all at once: Hold to roll the windows all the way up. Hold the switch up after the windows stop, then push the switch all the way down and hold, even when the windows reach bottom. Turn off the car while holding down the switch. :confused:

Restart the car. Now try the top. maybe it just needed the computer reset, and that's how you do it. :D

·
Registered
762 Posts
Help my top wont do anything! Where is the fuses or relays located at?
Has the battery been disconnected? If so, relearn the windows, just roll them up and down a few times while the engine is running.

When you release the top latch, does the status display change (up there with the rear view mirror).

Do you hear the noise from the trunk area but the top isn't moving?

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck chucked wood?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has the battery been disconnected? If so, relearn the windows, just roll them up and down a few times while the engine is running.

When you release the top latch, does the status display change (up there with the rear view mirror).

Do you hear the noise from the trunk area but the top isn't moving?

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck chucked wood?
Yes a new battery was installed. Yes if I release the top latch the display changes and if I twist it the two rear windows goes down a little then if I try to down the top with the switch the two front windows goes down a little and I hear a slight click noise from the rear but nothinh else happens.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Same issue going in two separate threads. Getting a little confusing!

Houston... We have a problem...

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
My Bad!

LOL! I started this thread first then got a reply in my other thead so i just replied to doth sence two different people asked two different questions to my problem. Sorry bout that.
Oh snap! That was me, inadvertently asking whether your extended warranty would cover the top, and then it taking off from there.

Maybe one of the MODS will come along and move those posts.

I'm going to link this thread to a post in that thread so ppl will stop posting there abt the top issue.

MORAV

·
Boogety Boogety
413 Posts
Yes if I release the top latch the display changes and if I twist it the two rear windows goes down a little then if I try to down the top with the switch the two front windows goes down a little and I hear a slight click noise from the rear but nothinh else happens.
DID YOU RESET THE TOP WITH THE WINDOWS UP/DOWN RITUAL? First thing to do. :rolleyes:

Also: All four windows should drop slightly simultaneously when you first twist open the lock. Since only your rears drop first, this tells me your lock sensor might be acting up. It's inside the passenger-side opening at the top of the windshield (feel it with your little finger). Spray a little WD40 in there with the little red straw thingie (NOT A LOT!) and see if that clears it up. :)

Do you hear the pump when you do any of the above? It should cycle for a second or two just prior to the top dropping or raising. If it "clicks" but you don't hear a lengthier sound... You might also have a pump problem (is the fluid level nominal?). :mad:

I still can't believe you bought the car with an inoperative top in the first place... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I still can't believe you bought the car with an inoperative top in the first place... :rolleyes:
Following this saga from the beginning of the original thread, this was a BDay present for his wife, and it made her very happy...

Way more than half the battle! (lol)
(At least he'll never hear "I told you so...") (lmao)

Stephen, it'll be fine, probably something minor! Find a good independent Bug Shop!

MORAV

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DID YOU RESET THE TOP WITH THE WINDOWS UP/DOWN RITUAL? First thing to do. :rolleyes:

Also: All four windows should drop slightly simultaneously when you first twist open the lock. Since only your rears drop first, this tells me your lock sensor might be acting up. It's inside the passenger-side opening at the top of the windshield (feel it with your little finger). Spray a little WD40 in there with the little red straw thingie (NOT A LOT!) and see if that clears it up. :)

Do you hear the pump when you do any of the above? It should cycle for a second or two just prior to the top dropping or raising. If it "clicks" but you don't hear a lengthier sound... You might also have a pump problem (is the fluid level nominal?). :mad:

No I just hear a click no pump wine. And as for buying the car its the one my WIFE wanted for her 40th BIRTHDAY so escuse me for trying to make her happy. I got the car for 6300.00 and 1000.00 down and 256.00 a month while everyone else around here wanted 14-17000.00 and 4-5000.00 down and 350-400 a month for one! So with that being said, I dont mind fixing it I just need someone to point me in the right direction as where to start. Im no dummy I just never worked on one of these before. She loves the car and isnt conserned about the top or the windows I am so yalls help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Following this saga from the beginning of the original thread, this was a BDay present for his wife, and it made her very happy...

Way more than half the battle! (lol)
(At least he'll never hear "I told you so...") (lmao)

Stephen, it'll be fine, probably something minor! Find a good independent Bug Shop!

MORAV
Thanks man! Atleast someone understands. Ill figure it out though one way or anouther I just gota find some literature on it thats all. And thanks again for all your help!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Thanks man! Atleast someone understands. Ill figure it out though one way or anouther I just gota find some literature on it thats all. And thanks again for all your help!
Get a "Bentley" buddy, if your going after this on your own. $80 (new-lots of luck finding a used for much less), and a vChecker "basic" (new) $50, let me know if you need links.

MORAV

·
Boogety Boogety
413 Posts
And as for buying the car its the one my WIFE wanted for her 40th BIRTHDAY so escuse me for trying to make her happy.
Wow. OK. You act like I'm not trying to help you, although I am. I don't care why you bought your car, and I'm glad you're making your wife happy. I only saw this thread, not the other one, so I didn't know (nor would I have cared) why anyone would buy a vehicle which has a vital feature as its basic reason for being, and that particular feature didn't work as designed. I mean... think about it. Makes you wonder... :rolleyes:

Sounds like the Bentley purchase is your best bet at this point, especially if you're handy around cars. Since money is apparently an issue, the Bentley will allow you to troubleshoot your issues henceforth, and save you tons of labor money compared with taking it to the dealer. Good luck! :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Get a "Bentley" buddy, if your going after this on your own. $80 (new-lots of luck finding a used for much less), and a vChecker "basic" (new) $50, let me know if you need links.

MORAV
Links would be nice because I am going after it myself! I never had a car I couldnt fix myself (it mite had took a while but i got it) and this one isnt going to be the first! :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow. OK. You act like I'm not trying to help you, although I am. I don't care why you bought your car, and I'm glad you're making your wife happy. I only saw this thread, not the other one, so I didn't know (nor would I have cared) why anyone would buy a vehicle which has a vital feature as its basic reason for being, and that particular feature didn't work as designed. I mean... think about it. Makes you wonder... :rolleyes:

Sounds like the Bentley purchase is your best bet at this point, especially if you're handy around cars. Since money is apparently an issue, the Bentley will allow you to troubleshoot your issues henceforth, and save you tons of labor money compared with taking it to the dealer. Good luck! :D
Dont get me wrong , I wasnt trying to be an ass or anything and i appreciate your help! And yes money is kinda an issue exspecially when I have to pay for it all along with run a business. Im just not trying to spend alot this time of year being work will be slow till march or april so yea im trying to fix it myself but if i cant then i will take it to the shop this spring and have them fix it.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Code Readers & Bentleys

Links would be nice because I am going after it myself! I never had a car I couldnt fix myself (it mite had took a while but i got it) and this one isnt going to be the first! :D
Here you go, I'm sure there are others.

“vChecker” Basic & Pro
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Vagchecker/ES9951/
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/V-Checker/ES9950/

The real enchilada from Ross-Tech
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/interfaces.html

Bentley Manual
From an earlier thread I started:
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/47280-bentley-manual-purchase-info-here.html

MORAV

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

1 - 20 of 37 Posts