NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Hey Buddy! Hope all is well! Care to give us the details?

M.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hey Buddy! Hope all is well! Care to give us the details?

M.
Dont ask me how i found it because i dont even know why I was looking there. But i noticed sence i had it that one of the flaps for the convertable top that when you unlatch the cop and all four windows go down about two inches and the two flaps on each side are suppose to open before you close the top. Well i figured out that the broken door in the trunk was one of those flaps and the other one was stuck open but still intact. So i went into the trunk and put the pump on manual so i could open the top to get a better look at it and i noticed that the flap on the drivers side was unpluged so i looked at the passenger side to get an idea of whre to find the plug and i found it and pluged it in. and as soon as i touched the top activatiion switch i herd a pump hum sound so i manually closed the top ans took the pump off manual, stated the car, unlatched the top. the windows went down and the one intact flap opened and i lifted the switch and she is working!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Excellent! How's everything else with the Bug? Haven't seen you around here since the original problem!

M.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Excellent! How's everything else with the Bug? Haven't seen you around here since the original problem!

M.
Everything is going great with it. The wife loves it! She just left with the top down smiling :cool: Ig going in the shop week after next to get the tranny fixed like it is suppose to be while I have warreny on if before the warrenty exspires and it starts acting up forsure! Ive been working alot and building other projects that i havent worked on in a long time.

·
Registered
320 Posts
EXCELLENT!!

I'm happy to hear this! Speaking about flaps and all... i bought my bug and found the flaps IN THE TRUNK, the top would go down but it would give me a warning light. (maybe because the flaps were missing.. DUH) I took it to the VW service center and they have reinstalled them (one was broke) and replaced a microswitch. I'll pick it up Monday!! Best part is the dealership I bought it from is paying the $691 repair bill!! :cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
EXCELLENT!!

I'm happy to hear this! Speaking about flaps and all... i bought my bug and found the flaps IN THE TRUNK, the top would go down but it would give me a warning light. (maybe because the flaps were missing.. DUH) I took it to the VW service center and they have reinstalled them (one was broke) and replaced a microswitch. I'll pick it up Monday!! Best part is the dealership I bought it from is paying the $691 repair bill!! :cool:
Yes. When i was working on mine i found that there are four micro switches (two on each of them) and they have something to do with the top working properly when the top is going up and down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
you can use the top without the flaps just have to leave the little motor hooked up. Been running mine like that for some time. the newer beetles do not have the flap because of the problems that go with them:p

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
And yes money is kinda an issue
So you bought a convertible? Son the best days you own a convertible are the day you buy it and the day you SELL it! :D

Busting yer balls, sorry, couldn't resist. I'm glad you got it working -- what a steal of a price for a car with an unplugged flap preventing the top from working. Lucky you!

·
Registered
320 Posts
you can use the top without the flaps just have to leave the little motor hooked up. Been running mine like that for some time. the newer beetles do not have the flap because of the problems that go with them:p
Well, it wasn't just the flaps. The warning light never went away with the top down; they also replaced a RAM switch (sp?). Besides, it doesn't matter... the flaps should have been attached to the car when I bought it :) The check arrives today to pay for the repairs and I'll finally drive her home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
thats cool that your getting some green for the work that was done i got my wifes NB Vert for $3000 had the back window, shift, and top problem fixed all for about $300 and just got my check from VW for the Valve Body.;) but once all cleaned up and the new top it looks just like one of the $10000-13000 ones wife is happy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So you bought a convertible? Son the best days you own a convertible are the day you buy it and the day you SELL it! :D

Busting yer balls, sorry, couldn't resist. I'm glad you got it working -- what a steal of a price for a car with an unplugged flap preventing the top from working. Lucky you!
It was for the wife's birthday and it was her favorite color not to mention less than half the price of any other one she was looking at! I knew i could fix it just had to make my mind up to do so.

thats cool that your getting some green for the work that was done i got my wifes NB Vert for $3000 had the back window, shift, and top problem fixed all for about $300 and just got my check from VW for the Valve Body.;) but once all cleaned up and the new top it looks just like one of the $10000-13000 ones wife is happy
And when the wife is happy everybody is happy!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
It was for the wife's birthday and it was her favorite color not to mention less than half the price of any other one she was looking at! I knew i could fix it just had to make my mind up to do so.

And when the wife is happy everybody is happy!
:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having a problem with my top as well. Was this ever solved. I saw Pencilneck asked if there was a noise coming from the rear.

I can not get my top to go down. I unlatch it with the swivel, but nothing happens when I push the button except I do hear the noise towards the rear of the car... No lights come on..
What could be the problem. Please help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Convertible top

So, can anybody direct me to the cause of the top opening, then not completing the cycle. It appears as though a relay may be overheating and tripping at the end of the opening cycle.

Tried the resets as directed above. I know there are a series of switches and sensors that control this. Is there a known schematic of the roof electrical?

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
You bought it and it wasn't working?!? :rolleyes:

OK, try this:

Go out to your car and get in and close the door. Start the car. Make sure all the windows are down. Turn off the car. :confused:

Start the car again. Use the master switch for the windows, the one that rolls them up/down all at once: Hold to roll the windows all the way up. Hold the switch up after the windows stop, then push the switch all the way down and hold, even when the windows reach bottom. Turn off the car while holding down the switch. :confused:

Restart the car. Now try the top. maybe it just needed the computer reset, and that's how you do it. :D
This was exactly what I needed! It worked perfectly! Thank you so much! I was stressing out and this fixed it with no problem. R

21 - 37 of 37 Posts