NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am
new to site, is it possible to make a power top into a manual top..is there some kind of a release switch to manual operation? thanks in advance

·
Registered
12,104 Posts
I'm unaware of a conversion; are you having any problems at this time? There have been a number of issues over the years; that can cause the top to not operate correctly (typically sensors). You might check out the vw cabriolet self study program; to understand how the top assembly works and is setup.

The New Beetle Cabriolet | SSP 281

Let us know what's going on and what you were thinking about doing, for your top and why. We can go from there, thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm unaware of a conversion; are you having any problems at this time? There have been a number of issues over the years; that can cause the top to not operate correctly (typically sensors). You might check out the vw cabriolet self study program; to understand how the top assembly works and is setup.

The New Beetle Cabriolet | SSP 281

Let us know what's going on and what you were thinking about doing, for your top and why. We can go from there, thanks.
thanks, will check it out, we bought it with a non functioning top..suspect left rear regulator problem, it has been removed and loosely replaced..LR window does not work..i see that some tops are manual and thought maybe a power top could be made into manual top

·
Registered
12,104 Posts
I suppose anything is possible, I haven't heard of anybody attempting to do this but it typically is easier just to go ahead, fix things correctly and keep things simple.

Having access to a Volkswagen specific scan tool like the VCDS by Ross tech; can help diagnose the problem correctly giving you access to vw factory trouble codes and live data to confirm what is happening, narrow down the cause of your problems.

Video showing vcds in use with the convertible top operation and common problems:

·
Registered
22 Posts
i am
new to site, is it possible to make a power top into a manual top..is there some kind of a release switch to manual operation? thanks in advance
Hey there!
If you open the trunk, on the driver's side near where the tail light is, you'll see a round plastic cover...when you remove the cover you will see a T-handle...twist it counter clockwise only a 1/4 turn...the hydraulic system will then be open which will allow you to operate the top...the problem you will have if you intend to operate the top in this way for anything other than temporarily is that it will not lock in the open position and the alarm will go off continuously...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, quess i will be taking it in to a garage, i know the left rear window does not go down, prior owner had pulled panel off..the switch by arm rest will drop 3 other windows an inch or more and then stops, top does not go down..i was told there is a few switches and relays that might be bad...i dont mind having a garage do it, just need garage that s not going to charge a grand to fix it! thanks for the info.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I suppose anything is possible, I haven't heard of anybody attempting to do this but it typically is easier just to go ahead, fix things correctly and keep things simple.

Having access to a Volkswagen specific scan tool like the VCDS by Ross tech; can help diagnose the problem correctly giving you access to vw factory trouble codes and live data to confirm what is happening, narrow down the cause of your problems.

Video showing vcds in use with the convertible top operation and common problems:

Billy-
I posted earlier about disconnecting the hydraulic lines on my '05 Beetle...when I reconnect them, will I need to bleed the system?

·
Registered
12,104 Posts
I haven't done any hydraulic work on convertibles; this service manual page however, might be helpful:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts