NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Yay Yellow
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad has readers that spit out codes in HEX and Decimal but it seems most other places they are listed as a P Code? For example misfire on cylinder 3 is 412F or 16687 -- most places online list P0303. The phone apps don't list HEX or Decimal either I don't think. I'm the one who always has to look these things up, it takes a while and it's a hassle. Is there a website or table or something I can convert these HEX or Decimal codes to P Codes more easily?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
The 16687 seems to work on the Ross-Tech wiki. Those are the code numbers VAG-COM spits out (as well as the P Code)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
OBD codes are OBD codes. No real need to convert them.

OBD-Codes OBD-II Trouble Codes - DTC Codes Car Repair

The only situation that can be a problem is when the manufacturer has specific hex or decimal codes, but in the case they are not tied to OBD standards, your OBD tool will not read and display them anyway.

The OBD standard supports "extended" or manufacturer specific codes as long as the manufacturer follows the OBD standards and format.

The main thing you have to be careful with on any code, OBD or other, is they are just clues and just because a sensor may be listed in the description, it does not mean the sensor is actually bad. Many times the opposite.

So if you have a code that states something like O2 sensor limit has been reached, this means the O2 sensor is working, but the fuel mixture is consistently too far in one direction.

There should be no real reason to try and convert a Pxxxx code backwards.

·
Yay Yellow
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not trying to convert from a P-code, rather to convert to a P-code. One reader in particular is audi/vw specific, and it does not give a P-code, so I need to have, find and flip through the stupid little book to find out what the codes mean. I was kinda hoping there was an easy conversion so I could just type it into some generic phone app or something. Smileybug, the search on Ross-Tech wiki looks like it might work out, thanks, at least that's something I can access online :)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

·
Yay Yellow
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's got a generic reader too. I'll be honest, I never thought to try one of the generic readers on a foreign car. I guess I figured they wouldn't work and that's why there were different readers. Oops.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
95% of all issues with cars and trucks have to do with engine management and a generic OBDII code reader is actually better than any manufacturer specific software.

Most of the manufacturer specific software fails to provide Emission Readiness Monitors, Freeze Frame and Live/Real Time data.

Also they do not usually have the ability to log/record and graph engine sensor data.

Yes, a tool like VCDS will come in handy when dealing with convertible top problems and some other very unusual body or immobilizer issues, but again, 95% of the time people are dealing with SES/CEL/MIL lights that come on and are dealing with engine performance/driveability issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts