NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me begin by apologizing if this has already been discussed, but I was unable to find any info on this.

My wife's 99 Beetle has always had problems with both of her power windows - regulator and motor problems. She had it to several shops (before I came around), but she would ultimately end up with a broken window 6 months to a year later.

Both sides are having problems with the windows again. I was thinking about replacing both the regulators and motors on both sides (with good quality parts) and hopefully taking care of the problem.

While looking for a regulator, I ran across one for manual windows.

Long story short- Would it be possible for me to just 1)install a manual window regulator, 2)create a hole for the crank and install a crank and then have manual windows?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
I suppose you could do this; going to a junk yard might be good to find all the parts you need. Having said that; I would fix the windows correctly with quality genuine vw parts. The repair kits are not that expensive and you could do the work yourself; do it correctly with quality parts, it should last quite awhile. It is very common; for shops to use cheap aftermarket parts that do not last very long and break quickly. The genuine VW parts are about $70 a side; call your local vw dealers part dept. with your VIN # to get the correct parts. Here is a video to give yourself a sense of what it takes to do the job correctly. Good luck! :)

Volkswagen New Beetle window regulator repair - PART 1 of 2 - YouTube

Volkswagen New Beetle window regulator repair - PART 2 of 2 - YouTube

·
Registered
29 Posts
The regulator is the same on both power and manual window. Now there is an extra cog that goes between the regulator and the crankhandle which you will have to get for your conversion.

On power windows the motor bolts right into the regulator

1 - 3 of 3 Posts