NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 VW Beetle 1.8T. I'm going to be replacing my coolant flange and a few hoses soon, as I've had a slight leak for a while. I've been adding coolant as needed with Peak OET European Vehicle 50/50 coolant, is this an okay replacement for the Pentosin G-12 coolant? Also, can someone kind of go over how to do a coolant flush I know the general idea but is there an optimal way to drain the coolant and is there a way to "burp" or get the air out without a specialized tool?

·
5/23/10 <3
10,933 Posts
I would only be using OEM from the dealer or Pentosin fluid for coolant. You can get the Pentosin at most auto parts stores nowadays. Also keep in mind that unless you are adding a lot of fluid for a major leak, you can just use distilled water to top up. Since you've likely mixed coolant types, a flush is definitely a good idea.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Get all that old stuff out. Don't mix various different kinds with the vw G-12 or the coolant will turn brown and will start to form a gel in some of the smaller coolant passages. G-12++ and G-13 are backward compatible with regular G-12.

Here is a video keep in mind if you follow this guys method of starting the car and bringing it up to temp the antifreeze will be hot on the second drain.

Two part video 2nd part automatically follows the first. Golf, Jetta, Beetle all have the same cooling system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts