NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Note: #43 coolant pipe vw part #: 1C0121065. These commonly leak; as they rust out and the pipe is made of thin metal and they start leaking. Some, have made a new one out of copper tubing; others had a hvac or radiator shop, make one out of other material that won't rust long term (aluminum, etc). Typical prices, seem to be in the $40 to $80 range for a genuine vw part and then, Dorman, seems to sell a aftermarket version as well with a lifetime warranty.

etka catalog page:

Bad hoses or damage/rusted out clamps; could be a possibility as well. Let us know, if you think; this is the right part and we can go from there. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Watching the video again that definitely looks like the part that is leaking. Any idea what the going rate is to have a shop swap that out?

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
No, I don't: one, would assume new vw spec coolant will be needed (good time to flush the whole system; if it has been awhile, 50/50 distilled water/vw spec coolant); as it will probably drain the whole cooling system. It would be easier on a lift but probably could be done at home, if you wanted to, jacked up and put on jack stands. You might check the condition of the clamps, rubber hoses; you might replace them as a preventative maintenance measure, the clamps look pretty corroded/rusted out. Let us know, what you decide to do; how things work out for you and how much, things end up costing. Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Definitely needs a coolant flush. Believe I have a bad wheel bearing as well, so was going to get it in for that but obviously not in a drivable state right now.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Looks like hoses and clamps are:

coolant hoses: VW part # 1C0121449 and 1C0121449A

clamps:

Spring Band Clamp VW Part #N90686902

VW seems to be about $10 per hose; Gates sells them for about half that price and come with a lifetime warranty:

For the wheel bearings; FAG/INA/Schaeffler, is the oem for VW.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Had it towed to a shop. So far they have it at $716.00 to replace that part plus the two hoses on each end. $312 to replace a cam sensor and $169 for the hose flange. Then they'll pressure test for other leaks. Somewhere in that cost includes repairing a short in the coolant sensor.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Thats over $1k in repairs for basic cooling system parts replacements and the cam sensor; things can expensive quickly, at a pro shop but many times you just want to get the car fixed, back in solid running order. What type of shop is this and what do they charge per hour?. I hope everything works out and your beetle is back on the road soon! :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Independent shop recommended by another forum that I have used before (DuPage Auto Werks -- West Chicago IL <-- not sure if ok to post name, will delete if not). Definitely more than I wanted to pay to get this thing back on road for daughter. And that doesn't include any leaks they may find after doing pressure test -- not to mention I'm just assuming the head gasket is ok.

Not sure about hourly rate have to call back when I get a bit more free time.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Well, either you do repairs yourself or pay someone else to do so. These older Volkswagens do require consistent attention and maintenance, to keep on the road. Overall, the needed repairs you are needing are pretty common, from what we see other members need around here; cost wise, you can justify this repair, comparing the monthly payments one would be making on a new or newer vehicle. At the 10 year 100k mark; you will see end of life issues with many common wear and maintenance parts. Lets hope this repair shop visit; will make the car solid and up ti a solid level of reliability. Keep is in the loop; as the repairs move forward. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ok, car back and running well. No head gasket leaks. They ended up replacing 2 hoses, the rusted water pipe, coolant flange, front right wheel bearing, cam position sensor and the right drive axle. In addition to a front alignment they flushed the coolant system and found everything to be gunked up, requiring them to pull hoses, etc and use compressed air to cleanout. I'm guessing this confirms it had G12 in it before I added green. Also guessing I'm responsible for the broken cam position sensor as I think I banged on it quite a bit when trying to remove the timing belt cover. Appreciate all the help.

Now on to the next issues -- an airbag light that recently came on and the top which constantly beeps that it is open and has to be raised/lowered manually.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Vcds will tell you what part of the airbag system is causing the light. A very common failure point is the front seat belt connector which has a couple of wires that eventually break causing an airbag light.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Yeah, you need a vw scan tool, to read the trouble codes;!related to the airbags and malfunctioning convertible top.

Sounds like you are making progress; on getting the car in a solid, reliable state, to be daily driven. Long list of repairs; i am sure, they needed to be done.

Investing in a vw specific scan tool; will enable you to move forward on fixing the remaining issues (airbags, top malfunction).

VCDS by Ross Tech is the best scan tool; for VW's; watch it being used to diagnose problems with the convertible top:

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
The HEX-V2 is the most current version; probably, the best bag for the buck @$199:

There are other VW/Audi scanners out there but as you can see from the video; you need to see live data, to observe what is going on and possibly what position sensor, is malfunctioning.

Bottom line on airbag/top repairs; get the right tool to diagnose the problems or pay someone else to fix it for you.

I'm sure you know pro auto shops/vw dealers charge allot for repairs; you just paid a major bill, (i am afraid t ask how much) but VCDS can help you save money, in the long run, by enabling you to "diy" many repairs, you choose to do. Let us know if you have anymore questions and how you would like to proceed with the remaining repairs. Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks again. I may just buy the tool. I have one for my other daughter's Toyota and has been pretty useful there.

As for the bill, total was around $1700. At least nobody can accuse me of not supporting the local independent shops. Plus they did fix a burnt out turn signal with no charge. :)

I'm sure I'll follow up with more questions about the top & air bag light.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts