NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i removed it today as i was trying to replace coolant in my engine and the little hose output broke. Anyone knows what this thin hose do and if it is necessary? I am out of town and i am not sure if i will have the new part tomorrow so i am looking for plan B in a case i need it.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Good question; the hoses go to various parts of the engine or things like the heater core. These plastic cooling flanges are horrible and become very delicate from the heat of the engine coolant. I would try to follow the hose and see if you can see where it goes. if you end up being in a bind; you might go to a hardware store and get plastic pve or metal pipe, to create a temporary fix and then, replace your "rigged" connectors, when the parts show up. Unfortunately, the 1.6L engine; never made it to the USA market and so, I am not familiar with the cooling system in question. Hopefully, you can figure things out and get your car, back on the road! Let us know; how things go, thanks! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is indeed very brittle, i am trying to repair it with a small 6mm metal pipe as you said but i am not very sure if it will make it, at list not without using epoxy glue. Anyway here is a schematic i found online, the pipe no 31 that connects the hose junction no22 and connect the throttle body with the heater and to the water tank. if you take a closer look you will understand. I think it has to do with the throttle preheat system. So the million dollar question is: Is it necessary? in a case i cant take a new output can i just block it? Though i believe i will fix it i need to know in the case something goes wrong in my return trip.

Thomas

Attachments

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I think, it is always best to repair things and keep stock functionality intact, in this case the throttle body cooling passage ways. I have "rigged" some cooling connectors; when I had to wait for parts like yourself and so, there is always, a way to make things work, if you take some time in the plumbing dept. of your local hardware store and try to replicate the original part the best you can.

I always say, fix it once and fix it right; which is the best way to go. I don't know, if I have helped any; let us know, what you decide to do and how things work out. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts