NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2006 NB Convertible 1.6 with 86k miles on it and no AC. I just had the coolant warning light come on along with the three beeps. Oh dear I thought. It turned out to be just low coolant in the reservoir. The long hot summer in the UK must have depleted some of the coolant and silly me forgot to monitor it.

I checked around the engine and there were no obvious leaks. I took this as an opportunity to flush the system and refill with fresh G12+ coolant as history on the car is vague and I wasn't sure when it was last done. Flushed twice and refilled using 50/50 coolant and de-ionized water (I can't seem to find distilled water locally here in the UK). Ran the engine at 2000rpm for 3 minutes to warm the engine, then left to idle. I repeatedly squeezed on the hoses to 'burp' the system and topped up the coolant as necessary. I had the engine idling for 20 minutes but the fan didn't kick in. Both lower and upper hoses to/from the radiator were equally hot to the touch and there was hot air blowing inside the car when I briefly switched the heater on to test that.

It occurred to me that I had never heard the radiator fan running on this engine so I figured I'd check that whilst the under tray was off. I did the jumper test on the fan circuit (as suggested on other forum posts), connecting the red cable to the red/white and then the red/black cables at the thermo switch connector block. The fan works at both speeds using this method. I checked the fuse block over the battery and it appears to be in good order.

So I'm thinking that the thermo switch might be faulty. Would this sound right? Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Dylan.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Did you make any progress with this? It sounds like you could still have air; in the block and that is why, the fans are not coming on? Hopefully, you have it figure out; by now. Let us know! Thanks! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Billymade.

No, I haven't progressed any further with this issue. I was hoping to get some suggestions before investigating further. Thanks for yours by the way.

I was fairly confident that there wasn't air in the system as everything works as it should - ie. interior heater works perfectly, fluid level in the reservoir is stable day-to-day (rises and falls to proper levels when engine is both warm and cold), and no overheating warning light on the dash. Other than burping the system by squeezing the hoses repeatedly for a decent length of time, is there a better way of clearing air in the system (without shop equipment)?

Having checked other forum posts here, I thought I may have checked all I could and ruled out potential issues other than a faulty thermo switch. I was looking for a second opinion before buying a replacement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts