VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys so I'm still having leaking from the coolant flange i just replaced the other day. I'm guessing now it probably the tube that is connected on the flange going to the firewall. i checked the the hose the other day and it looked fine. no cracks or anything. can it also b the metal part that tightens up the hose to the flange ? is the one that u screw on with a flat head screwdriver. should i use the one the that u pinch with pliers to get it loose? i think they r called clamps. thanks for any help u guys give me

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
So, you don't know for sure; where the leak is coming from? A cooling system pressure tester; would help pinpoint the source of the leak. Coolant leaks are terribly common; because of all the plastic used in the coolant system on vw's. It's hard to know to for sure; without a tester. It could be a number of possibilities; clamps, other hoses, the new part is not seated correctly or the o-ring is pinched, etc. you could try replacing the clamps and see if the leak goes away. However, you still may not know; the source of the leak.

Here is the tester; that I use, with excellent results: (be sure to search for a 20% off coupon)

Pittsburgh Automotive - Item#69258

http://m.harborfreight.com/radiator-pressure-tester-kit-69258.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm pretty sure its coming from that hose because their is coolant rite underr it. And when I touch it their pink crusty stuff on my finger. So I'ma just buy a different clamp for it and c if it works. Thanks a lot billy

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's some pics mayb u can tell me if it's coming from that hose that I'm taking about. Theirs one pic that I took under the car. It's a couple of drops that r coming down and theirs some coolant on that part in not sure wat that part is under the car. But I'm thinking it's the coolant that had leaked out from the hose and when I make sharp turn its spills to the part and goes down.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
Ugh, even with these pics; it is hard to discern where the leak is coming from! Maybe, add some uv dye to the coolant system and then, you would able to see the source of leak better? Problem is; many leaks, only happen, when the car is hot and the pressure is high. I would prefer a pressure tester kit; over a uv dye kit, by the time you buy a kit the prices could be close to the same or less.

Radiator and cooling system dye: leak detection kit:

https://www.google.com/search?q=uv+dye+kit+fir+cooling+systems&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Check YouTube for examples of how it works:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Fin...how+to+find+Cooling+system+leaks++with+uv+dye

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea the uv dye thing works good. That's how I found out a while back that my water pump was leaking. The pressure test kit is kinda expensive for me rite. I have a good feeling is the hose that I showed in the pic because like a week ago I could visible c drops coming down from that part. I was hoping it was the flange but now I'm starting to c it could b the house or that clamp isn't strong enough and letting coolant out when is hot. I'm just going to have to wait till the weekend to tackle this problem. Thanks a lot tho

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If possible can u tell me which hose that is and can u tell me where I can get it for cheap. On the vw site it's kinda hard to figure out what hose it is.

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
Yeah with a coupon; the pressure test kit is $72 plus tax. If you already have the dye; give that a shot. These Volkswagens can be really hard to diagnose the leaks; without replicating the normal operating conditions (pressure), that's why I finally broke down and bought the pressure test kit. I always figure; when I buy a tool to fix something, it is cheaper than taking it to a pro shop and I will have the tool, for next time. The way these cars are; there will be a next time and the kit works on most cars on the road today (so you can use it to fix other cars as well).

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
So which hose are we talking about; I there are three: (coming off the flange)

1. Hose facing the radiator
2. Hose pointing down towards the trans
3. Hose facing the back firewall

Note: most hoses have VW part number imprinted on them; if they are the original hoses and have not been replaced, with a aftermarket hose.

Genuine Vw hoses can get expensive; for better prices, Gates, Continental and CRP are starting to make aftermarket versions. I think the Gates maybe still made in USA with the CRP brand being most likely Chinese.

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
Your best bet; might be, to get the part # off the old hose, to get the right one. Or take it with you to the auto parts store or order it online by the part #, off the hose.

·
Registered
15,844 Posts

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts