NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the Beetle in to have its usual oil change done at the dealer, I also had them take a look why the check engine light turned on. They fixed the problem and said it was due to a coolant temp. sensor(understandable). They replaced the sensor for free because the car has a few thousand miles left on the warranty, but they also said that there was regular anti freeze put in the car which is causing the fluid to solidify. I looked at the reservoir and it looks ok(looks a bit dark around the edges), I also have never taken the car to anywhere but a dealer since we bought it with 10k. But the car has almost 50k now and I might as well flush it is there anything I should know specific to my 2003 Beetle. I have done plenty of flushes before. I know it is going to need the VW dealer coolant but what would be the best thing to do the flush with? I usualy use the radiator flush stuff from local parts stores. I am not going to spend almost 300 bucks they quoted me for a radiator flush.

Thanks all in advance. . . Sorry for the long post. . .

I took this directly from my post on VW Vortex where no one had even posted a reply.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just checked with the dealer here, 22 bucks a gallon. That's not too bad. How much will I need? They said 1 gallon should be plenty, but this is comming from the parts guy.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I don't know if the VW-labeled G12 is pre-mixed, but if it's not, then 1gal. will be plenty. :) When I swapped the timing belt in mine, I bought 3L of G12 from ECS. So mixed 50/50 with distilled water that was 6L, but 1gal. unmixed... yeah. Plenty. :D

-Des

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
The usual procedure around here is to drain the old coolant, then replace with water. Run the motor until the thermostat opens. Drain the water, and repeat. Then put in the 50/50 mix of coolant after the final drain. When filling the cooling system, pull the temp sensor to vent the air. Replace the sensor when the coolant starts to dribble out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds fairly straight foreward, where is the CTS on my beetle?

Also I called a local VW independent shop here. They said they would do the flush for about a 100 Bucks but they only use regular Prestone antifreeze. They said it works better, thats a bit odd? They did say they use a phosphate free coolant, still odd.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Well, it is possible that Prestone makes a silicate and phosphate free anti-freeze. I just have not run across it yet.
The temp sensor is located in the upper radiator hose. It is on the right side as you are standing in front of the car. It should be just to the left of the air box.
Remove the wires first. Then look for a metal clip. The clip just pulls out to the side. DON'T DROP IT. The sensor will then just pull up and out.
The radiator drain is located on the drivers side.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I took the Beetle to a different stealership here. They said the coolant was just fine(that's odd, but it did look fine to me also). Some of the coolant spilled out because they replaced the CTS again(it threw another code and set of the SES light)so they replaced the CTS again. Now again, 2 days later after the latest trip to the stealership the SES light went off again. Why? What is wrong with this picture? The car has only 44k. I also talked to tech(he was realy not in a talkative mood), but he said the coolant was just fine.:confused: :confused: :confused:

This is going to be the third time back to back.

What do you all think of this. Most everyone here has more experience than I do with a VW. . . .

Thanks again . . . .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts