NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing coolant flush today per the instructions other guys
recommended on this forum. Here I have a question here. After several times of filling and draining, some debris/dirt(???) was seen inside the coolant reservoir as the attached photos shown.
I was trying to suck them out by vacuum cleaner but it did not work. :mad::mad::mad:

I am wondering whether it is OK to refill the fresh coolant with
those dirt inside the reservoir? If not, how can I take them out?

By the way, after several times of flushing, the water became clean.

Need help before refilling the fresh coolant.:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm naughty. I didn't even look that close in my reservoir.
I see one speck of dirt in that photo. If I wanted it, I'd rubber band a wad of paper towel to the end of a tool and go dabbing for it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
You've done a good job! That amount of dirt is absolutely nothing to be worried about. The water passages are relatively large and don't plug easily. It is not like the oil at all, where any grit has to be filtered out.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why not tap water????

You've done a good job! That amount of dirt is absolutely nothing to be worried about. The water passages are relatively large and don't plug easily. It is not like the oil at all, where any grit has to be filtered out.
I hope it won't be the matter. But what is the point of using
distilled water to mix G12 instead of tap water????:confused:

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I hope it won't be the matter. But what is the point of using
distilled water to mix G12 instead of tap water????:confused:
The minerals in tap water can interfere with the corrosion inhibitors that are used in the coolant. The useful life of the coolant will be shorter.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
premix G12 and distilled water before refilling????

Shall G12 and distilled water be mixed first before refill into the reservoir? Or we can refill G12 and water 50/50 respectively?

:confused:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
radiator pressure cap?

Does our Beetle's engine have radiator pressure cap? I watched
a video clip on YouTube that says radiator pressure cap shall be
unscrewed and opened to have air into the cooling system to
push out more old coolant. I am wondering whether our Beetle has
the cap or not???? I did not see it myself.:(:(

Replacing Vehicle Coolant - YouTube

Above is the link.The following is another video clip trying to purge as much air out as
possible. How can we do that on our Beetle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owQcxSrKARA

·
Registered
950 Posts
No, I believe the method of burping the engine is to turn it on and run it for a few minutes watching the coolant level.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Shall G12 and distilled water be mixed first before refill into the reservoir? Or we can refill G12 and water 50/50 respectively?

:confused:
If the system has been flushed with water just add 1/2 the capacity of G12 and then add distilled water until filled. Correct way to purge air with the 2.0 is to add to the full mark, put the cap on the bottle, run the engine until the level goes to the bottom of the bottle, shut off the engine and refill the bottle. Repeat until the level is steady.

The cap on the spherical bottle is the pressure cap for the cooling system.

Check and make sure that coolant does flow into the bottle through the hose that comes from behind the engine when the engine is running. It must not be plugged for the air to be properly purged from the cooling system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts