NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I have noticed that my 98 beetle has a very slow coolant leak comming from the passenger side of the radiator at the lower corner. It probably has a small crack or possibly a pinhole leak. you can plainly see the drip location at the lower corner.

As of now it is only a very slow drip leak, but I am concerned that it will only get worse in the months to come. I am considering adding a can of radiator stop leak, but am concerned as to wether it would contaminate the OEM coolant.

Has anyone used this and had good results? Also can you drain and flush the OEM coolant and change to a 50/50 mix of prestone without doing any damage to the engine?

Any comments or info. would be appreciated.

All The Best,

Red 98 Beetle

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
coolant

Recently, I have noticed that my 98 beetle has a very slow coolant leak comming from the passenger side of the radiator at the lower corner. It probably has a small crack or possibly a pinhole leak. you can plainly see the drip location at the lower corner.

As of now it is only a very slow drip leak, but I am concerned that it will only get worse in the months to come. I am considering adding a can of radiator stop leak, but am concerned as to wether it would contaminate the OEM coolant.

Has anyone used this and had good results? Also can you drain and flush the OEM coolant and change to a 50/50 mix of prestone without doing any damage to the engine?

Any comments or info. would be appreciated.

All The Best,

Red 98 Beetle
I used that radiator stop leak once and it made more of a mess than actually fix any leaks at all In fact I think it clogged up my radiator. Only use special VW G12 coolant mixed 1/2 with distilled water. Good luck man

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
Also can you drain and flush the OEM coolant and change to a 50/50 mix of prestone without doing any damage to the engine?
You can, but you have to flush it all out very, very, very well. Drain the G12, add only water, run the car for a bit, drain, fill with more water. Continue until the water comes out completely clear. To me, its not worth the time when you can just get the right stuff without much trouble.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I am considering adding a can of radiator stop leak, but am concerned as to wether it would contaminate the OEM coolant.
Never add stop leak to a car you're not prepared to drag to the junkyard in less than a year. It's a desperate measure which sometimes results in clogged heater cores, clogged radiators, and etc. which ultimately reduces cooling performance. In my opinion, that's the last thing you want on a little four cylinder engine that likes to overheat without a properly functioning cooling system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts