VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 2.0 beetle the car overheats whenever it's running without the AC and the AC eventually stops working after you drive it around for a bit and I also noticed a small coolant leak after we drove it around for a couple miles .. Does anyone know what the issue could be ? Any suggestions appreciated thanks guys !!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I would start with the basics; see if the water pump is working as it should. Here is a video; that shows how it should be working and how to tell with examples, of it not working and working correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcoT1oFr74g

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
A/c

that's normal for the A/C to shot off when the coolant temperature get's too high. u might want to fix the overheating problem first and don't even turn on the A/C, yet.

·
Registered
758 Posts
The other basic thing to check is the cooling/radiator fan operation. The most basic check is to start the car, turn on the A/C (fan on high, coldest setting) and see if the radiator fan is spinning. If it's not, you'll have to do some more involved tests to figure out why.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, i'm not sure if you have fixed it yet, but i had this same issue too on my brothers 1997 Audi A3 1.8T.

When AC was turned on it would keep switching on and off, and at times when in traffic engine would overheat, after playing with some fuses i found out that the left fuseholder thing in the fuse box on top of the battery had molten away, i ziptied it to the other 2 fuses and it still works like 4k km later.

P.s. : the waterpump was fine and still is.

Hope this might help you

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
electric fans

The common problem here is the electric fans or the fuse box providing power to the FCM or the fans themselves. When the fans don't work the engine runs hot at idle or stop/go traffic. At the same time when you don't have airflow through the condenser the pressure in the high side get's too high and it trips the A/C compressor high pressure switch to keep it from damage. good luck folks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts